Signature Model Guitars that Never Happened

Bankston

For decades it seemed like a no brainer to me that Fender should do a Brad Gillis signature model red Strat with a Floyd. But it never happened. Instead, Fernandes issued a reasonable facsimile thereof.

What are some other signature models that you wanted to see come to market?

USMarine75

I own a prototype... 1/2 that were made.

Peavey Josh Rand Special... made in the custom shop. This was the one Paul Riario used in his GuitarWorld demo. The other is the one JR had until recently.

nu9PQ0.png

qsf1.jpg

WFz-mwyLphBSjiI_NnK6msTSkofWrZh_w40AojVQYwetg3t5_FgJziSHB08Vn4gtDz6NVc32yCDBKZaib9HiGSmBpI8PpEgwsxvwiKgY

Josh%20Rand%20(B).jpg

Last edited:

megaboogie

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson James Hetfield Iron Cross LPC.
Gibson wouldn't do it so ESP gladly took it over.
On the other hand, Gibson did a Kirk Hammett Flying V sig.

PRS Pete Loeffler(Chevelle) baritone sig.
Pete's been a PRS user forever and definitely deserved it, but PRS said no.. why?!
Pete left PRS for that and now plays Fender.

Steadfastly

The Steadfaster shredding guitar by Fibson. They had such a response for these, they knew they couldn't build them fast enough and built something else inStead.

FennRx

Gibson James Hetfield Iron Cross LPC.
Gibson wouldn't do it so ESP gladly took it over.
On the other hand, Gibson did a Kirk Hammett Flying V sig.

Pete's been a PRS user forever and definitely deserved it, but PRS said no.. why?!
Came here to post about James Hetfield’s 74 LPC. Seems Henry J and Co were a serious PITA to deal with. James is and always has been a lover of Gibsons. Pretty stupid imho to allow him to walk away and have ESP build it.

Racehorse

Silver Supporting Member

Was so disappointed not to see this Pete Loeffler model. And changing to those strats was a weird move, they definitely don't sound as good live. I feel like something happened that rubbed Pete the wrong way.

Also that Ben Burnley baritone hollowbody would have been a killer model.
GP43NRW.jpg

Pete's been a PRS user forever and definitely deserved it, but PRS said no.. why?!.

There was a significant period of time where it seemed like PRS as a company and person were unhealthily fixated on Mark Tremonti...I think a lot of projects and endorsements fell victim to that...Pete has gone on record publicly that he lobbied PRS to do a sig, but that PRS didn't seem interested.

Two more PRS swings and misses

* Page Hamilton signature. Hamilton made a couple of trips to the PRS factory where they did all sorts of analysis and recording sessions of his pink ESP Horizon. Apparently after a bunch of work and prototyping, PRS came back and told Hamilton that his ESP was a "fluke of nature" who's sound they couldn't reproduce.

* EVH prototype. PRS tried and failed to lure EVH away from Peavey with a custom build that EVH apparently simply did not like.

evh_1600-jpg.1719

Last edited:

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Surprised they never did a Frusciante strat.

Of course, now that Flea is with Fender and Frusciante is back there’s a chance that could well happen.
Fender did approach Frusciante to do a signature strat, but John was not interested. He plays vintage instruments for the most part, so I guess it was something he was not into. It would have been cool if Fender cloned his sunburst '62 strat, but I would hate to see the damn price of it.

The infamous Gibson Jimi Hendrix sig model definitely deserves mention in this thread.

Edit- The linked article only references the low end "starter package" models. I've seen pictures that seem to have been "disappeared from the web" of a high end Hendrix sig model being assembled in the Gibson Nashville factory. The unpainted guitars looked like the old Gibson Victory guitars with smoother curve lines.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom