Signing In Post - Mesa F-50 Video Clips from TV Session

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Dann'sTheMan, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

South East, UK - dissecting yet another Huff solo
    Dear All,

This is my first post to the forum, although I have been lurking here for quite a while. :)

So what inspired me to pop this cherry? Well, this morning I was attending my 5 year old daughter's first nativity play, and I was simply the gushing and proud dad. :eek: It put me in the Christmas spirit, and reminded me of a session I did just before last Christmas for the BBC, where the focus was on nativity performances. I was playing for a very talented youth choir, and working with my main musical director and a bunch of session guys (Kylie Minogue, Vanessa Mae and others.).

Anyway, I thought this might be a cool way of introducing myself and my passion for my favourite amp in the Boogie line. All of the clips are a single take from a live performances of the audio, and then with video overdubs. Please let me know what you think: :)

The clips are fairly large so be warned. I hope you think they are worth the download time:
    Ballad (Clean & Crunch)
    Bluesy
    Acoustic
    (If you only get audio - then you need to download the DIVX video decoder from http://www.divx.com/divx/download/. )

Big smiles,

Andy.

2. scottl

scottl Member

Great clips! These are the ones you had posted on HC I think... No?

Happy Holidays Mate!!

Welcome to TGP.

Scott

3. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Glad to see you here. I haven't been to that other forum in quite a while, but the F-50 thread was a highlight. Still enjoying mine.

4. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

Hey Scott,

I've been lurking here long enough to recognise that some of my web friends were active here - thank you for the warm welcome. :)

Yep, I'm recycling these clips as I get into the Christmas spirit and get that glowing feeling from watching the kids singing. It's a great excuse to break through the block and start posting.

Scott, I finally got a chance to try a Fuchs. I was in San Francisco on business a couple months ago, and I got a chance to try an ODS100. I was thoroughly impressed, and it's simply one of the nicest amps I've ever played. I'm not an amp collector, but if I were to amass a stable, it would probably be top of my list to have alongside my Boogie. :cool:

Big smiles,

Andy.

5. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

Is HCAF referred to as "that other forum" round these parts! :p Just kidding! Great to see you here, boonhogganbeck. The F-series Lounge is going strong with over 800 posts - simply an awesome resources to the fans of Mesa's stealth amp. I'm still lovin' mine too! :cool:

Big smiles,

Andy.

6. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

Very nice. I had decided months ago that I was getting an F-50 after the new year.

7. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

Thanks for taking the time Tone_Gecko. :) What kind of music do you play?

Big smiles,

Andy.

8. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

I play a little bit of everything.

and alot of nothing. :p

My wife used to tell me...

"You're not a lead guitarist. You're not a rythm guitarist. You're a riff guitarist."

That's when I stopped trying to learn songs, and starting just recording my own stuff. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes not so good. At least I enjoy what I'm doing.

http://myspace.com/kevingodfrey You can listen to a few things there if you dare. ;)

9. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

I will certainly check out your material, but I will have to wait until I am home - the web sniffer at my work place is blocking your myspace page as a "Personals & Dating" site. :p

So you'll be using an F-50 for all kinds of rifftastic mayhem? I have no doubt it will be as versatile as you need it to be. I use mine from clean to scream, and it constantly inspires. Check out the links below for a range of clips I've recorded in the past few of years that touch upon just some of the F-50 tones I've been able to capture: :)

:eek: My chronological attempts at Home Recording my Mesa F-50... Comments? Tips? Advice?
    Gain sound Clean sound (Miked) Clean sound (Direct) Gain sound with HBs Crunch sound with HBs Gain sound (touch of delay at mixdown) HB Gain sounds (delay & chorus at mixdown) Bluesy sound (delay at mixdown) Triple Texture GuitarsRevelation (5.4Mb) "LA" Sounds (Clean & Lead) Modern Heavy Riffin' sound Woody Clean sound Classic High Gain sound Classic 6L6 Drive

:cool: Video Clips from Gospel Gigs
    Ballad (Clean & Crunch), Bluesy, Acoustic, Jazzy, Soul

:) Diagram of my Main Rig.

Big smiles,

Andy.

10. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

WOW! Those sound clips really nail everything I could ask for out of one amp.

Really amazing playing on there too. :dude

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

That is some tasty stuff, well done! Never heard a Mesa (or knew about it anyway) that fit in that context.

Welcome to the Gear Page!

12. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

Thanks for the kind comments, Tone_Gecko. :) I checked out your myspace page,and really enjoyed the tripped out tunes you've got posted there. My favourite was "Bad Trip", and I liked the tones in all of the compositions (what gear did you use?). Speaking of composition - there were lots of really strong ideas and cool playing. Very impressed. :AOK

Big smiles,

Andy.

13. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the Gear Page, and for taking the time to check out my clips. I sincerely appreciate it (and not just because you're a moderator :p).

The F-series are certainly Mesa's stealth amps, and make use of one of Randall Smith's favourite pre-amp designs - a design dating back to the early 80s, back when Boogies were often the studio tool of choice. Much more of that Fender heritage shines through on the clean sounds, and the dirty sounds can certainly Boogie. What's interesting to me is I've found that as I turn up the gain, the amp's voicing becomes increasingly modern. I can dial the gain to just the right voicing, and then use a clean boost (I use a vintage Dyncacomp) to get the right amount of break-up/saturation. :cool:

I actually had budget for pretty much any amp in the Mesa range, and I fell for the tones in Mesa's stealth amp: vintage to modern, clean to scream and all points in between. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

14. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

My main rig is a G&L Legacy, and a classic 50 4x10 with an Ibanez UE-405 in the loop. I vary my wah pedal. I tend to go back and forth from a bad horsie to a vox. OD I use a TS9DX I modified, and a DS-1 that I actually really like stock.

Bad trip was na experiment gone ary. It is just 2 pedals. A vox wah, and a line6 DL-4. I used the loop, and reverse, and half speed functions to get that weird reverse tripped out sound. Then just went nuts with the leads, and the wah pedal.

I played it for my wife, and she said "sounds like you're on a Bad Trip." :)

15. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

Some nice gear there, Tone_Gecko. My guitar hero is session maestro, Dann Huff, and I've heard that he often uses a Peavey Classic 50 on sessions. This is a man who knows tone. :)

I wasn't familiar with your Ibanez unit - had to Google search it. I'm guessing you really like it if it's still part of your rig. Those reverse reverbs from your DL-4, are one effect I'd love to be able to get on my G-Major. It sounded very cool in your clip. Your wife sounds cool too! :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

16. radvra

radvra Guest

I agree with you on the talents of Dann Huff (I am a big fan of Dann). Awesome guitar player, producer, and tone guru. I liked him when he was with Giant, but I have to say that his production talents and guitar layering abilities are astounding...and heard on many of the country and Christian artists offerings...those that are fortunate enough to have his input SheDaisy, Faith Hill, Keith Urban, DC Talk (and many others) all have hits because of him.

BTW, I also have an F-50. You are getting some great tones from yours. I found from my experience that the clean tones (and reverb) are really good, and the higher gain tones are good at recording volumes, but tend to be harsh at gig/stage levels. I have to turn the treble almost completely off. With some tweaking it sounds good, and my sound man loves it. Big tones in a small package, and not a backbreaker to schlep to gigs.

I like 6L6 amps, but I prefer EL-34's and EL-84's tonally (I use the reissue VOX AC-30 and a EL-34 modded tweed Bassman) because I play less Fender-like and more Marshall like tones, but the F-50 is a more modern design that has a wide selection of tone choices (as you have proven), and has channel switching, effects loops, and bullet proof construction that makes it a go-to amp for many situations.

Anybody ever try Yellow Jackets in the F-50?

17. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

The Classic 50 is really a super amp. the cleans are great. I can plug my acoustic into, and play amped without distorting the acoustic sound. I set the lead channel just slightly dirty, and I can get some leads tones very close to Santana. Hendrix clean tones are automatic.

That Ibanez unit is super sweet! It's perfect for everything I want to do. I want to get a vibe unit of some sort. I'm leaning toward the deja vibe.

18. rpavich

rpavich Member

Dannstheman,
    Nice stuff...very talented singers, musicians everything...nicely done...

That guitar tone in "mary had a baby" was nice also..

Welcome!

bob

19. Derelict

Derelict Member

good to see a familar face from the "other amp forum." lol..

andy, those vids kick butt. however, this is the first time i have stopped to listen to "classic high gain" and "classic 6L6 drive" and dude....those are the best tones you( or i or any other person's F50 clips i have heard) have ever captured. dude, i am blown away!

can i get those settings?

edit:

give me more info on that mic setup you used to capture that. sounds like a heard a lot of room in those two.

-adam:dude

20. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Great to see you here, you have refined your touch with that amp, will see the two others later on....lots to do here right now;)
    Niels