Silent Guitar Recording - Help Please!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Longer, Feb 14, 2017.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I use Guitar Rig 5 demo for practicing. Works ok. For recording I use an amp. sims are ok, I even use them sometimes for recording, but usually not. I've tried a bunch, the S-Gear was pretty decent.

I have a power station, run the line out into the daw. I have the Own Hammer IRs, they are really pretty good. I then use the nebula Own Hammer for mix down (the nebula ones sound better to me than the wav IR ones). Or get the torpedo demo, it comes with a couple cabs and extra ones are cheap.
    The trick is getting the line level signal into the amp without the speaker. The PS, Suhr, torpedo, tons of stuff out there you can use for that.Yea a few bucks, but it really is the best way for me, using a real amp.

Longer likes this.
  2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Definitely try SGear. You can get some really good basic tones and can add any more IR's (Ownhammer, Celestion, etc...) to take it to the next level. I also dig the minimal FX they have in there. I'm sure there is a free demo to check out and apply to your already recorded dry tracks.
    Here is a song from an EP I recorded for my lead singer, all SGear (overdrive, cleans, trem, chorus parts). I actually had an AxeFX at the time and found the SGear worked better for my workflow.

https://www.reverbnation.com/gregamann/song/21955667-autopilot-featuring-jenni-lily

That being said, I'm looking at real amps again and may invest in the Suhr RL or the Fryette PS... still need to do more research.

Jason Calieri and Longer like this.
  3. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

Agreed. Heading upstairs to crank up the twin now.

930, wife 2 doors down in the master bedroom.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Longer likes this.
  4. gtr777

gtr777 Member

Didn't know anything about the Captor coming out...Looks pretty cool, Especially for the price. I'm not crazy about two notes IR's though. I prefer the ownhammers that I purchased.

Longer likes this.
  5. makerdp

makerdp Member

ISO cabs are obsolete dinosaurs.

Get a Suhr Reactive Load, Wall of Sound III and don't ever look back.

DAEvosirch and Longer like this.
  6. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

In my opinion, the Helix Native plugin is going to offer the most versatility and bang for your buck, hands down. It uses the exact same algorithms that power Line6's $1,399 hardware version, and the tones blow the doors off Guitar Rig. Numerous amps, cabs, and effects, as well. It's not out yet, but I'd wait for it if I were you.

PBGas and Longer like this.
  7. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

This is sad to me, because reading this the first things I pictured were isolation cabs. Back in the day, we thought we were real cutting edge having a cab with a speaker, a mic mount, and a metric buttload of soundproofing.

The guitar cab we used was one the engineer made himself. It had a Celestion 12 in it, with an SM57 element and two layers of plywood box with an air gap in between them. The bass cab was store bought. A model called a Rumbleseat.

That was admittedly twenty five-ish years ago. But we thought we were hot stuff.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Longer likes this.
  8. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

so will these produce commercial grade audio tracks?

Longer likes this.
  9. makerdp

makerdp Member

Reactive loads and impulse responses? Absolutely without a doubt.

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Fryette GP/DI is a great solution should you want a real amp. It's 1 watt and can be run w/o a speaker if you want, or it can power a cabinet. It also has a speaker simulator, and none of the features are junk, it's well made piece of gear.

dirtyfunkg and Longer like this.
  11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

And if nothing else it'll double as a hell of an reactive load. :)

Tubes and Strings and Longer like this.
  12. vashuba

Anyone using the Rivera Rock crushers?

13. vashuba

14. DAEvosirch

DAEvosirch Member

I can only comment on my own admittedly narrow goals and results. I own a Suhr Reactive Load and Redwirez IR stuff. I can play my Twin on 8 and record some great sounds in absolute silence if need be. I'm going for a very basic sound, though, so I've no experience with high-gain tones or more rock/metal guitar sounds.

Longer likes this.
  15. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I used a Rock Crusher exclusively for my band's last album. I ran my Princeton Reverb or AC15HW into the RC and line out to Ownhammer IRs via Torpedo Wall of Sound plug-in. My other guitarist miked up a Twin Reverb.

In track below, my AC15HW is on the right (lead guitar) and my bandmate's miked Twin is on the left.

http://shapesandfaces.com/track/chasing-mirrors

Longer likes this.
  16. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

You stumped me with the words ”silent guitar "....…. So I'm out.

jasevenny likes this.
  17. Longer

Longer Silver Supporting Member

Curious, using the Suhr RL, how is the noise floor?
    I'm going direct to interface at the moment and it's dead quiet.
    While I'd like to utilize my amps, and thinking about the Suhr RL, I'd be disappointed if it adds any background noise.
    So do you find the Suhr very quiet? If not, what do you use to get rid of any hum or such being recorded?

18. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

S-Gear is really, really great. FEELS great too. You don't feel like you're playing a sim.

If it's not heavy enough for you, it's very simple to put a pedal plugin in front of it. I use the Logic pedalboard or a freeware TS808 plugin to goose the S-Gear amps when necessary.

19. Campfired

Campfired Member

20. DAEvosirch

DAEvosirch Member

I don't notice any noise, but I play a Telecaster, so buzz and hum is part of the tone. Additional noise, I'd say none. It sounds pretty much exactly like my amp. There is some coloration, I suppose, but really nothing that is a problem for me. I adjust IR "mic" placement and EQ based on the track anyway.

Longer likes this.