1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Silent Guitar Users

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by spence, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

Just pulled the trigger on a new one from Sweetwater... $690 shipped.

I explored a couple of EX used ones, but wasn’t able to get either one for $500 shipped. I hate buying instruments remotely. I generally prefer buying new and putting my own wear on stuff. Plus being able to return this if I don’t bond with it sealed the deal.

I’ll report back after it arrives.

derekd likes this.
  2. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

hey y’all, just ordered the 200n. thanks for the tip. will report next week.

3. spence

spence Supporting Member

Atmospheric - Was your price including tax? Mine was $699 plus tax.

jnovac1 - Congrats, I'm curious to see what you think. I just took mine to my luthier (he's REALLY good) and hope to get it back one day next week. I'll report back.

Atmospheric likes this.
  4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

No sales tax for Oregon residents. I had to press a bit for my price.

Wait. You bought the steel string. Street price for that model is $699.99. I bought the wide neck nylon model. Street for that model is $749.99. So I got $60 off that.

I bid on an eBay auction for a used one and got outbid at $500 shipped. Then I offered $500 shipped for one on Reverb and told the seller best and final. He declined. I not paying ~$100 off list for a used one. What are these guys thinking.

lamenlovinit likes this.
  5. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

Sweetwater is pricey. It looks like the MAP did go up a bit, but I got a new one for $523 (shipped) two years ago.

6. hunter

hunter Member

For folks in the used market be aware that the earliest versions, say the first 6 months or so, ask Yamaha for details, of the 200N, and I am not sure if only N model BTW, had a subtle but apparent glitch in the tracking on one string, one note. Maybe a search will pull up details. Yamaha quickly had a ROM update and was doing the fix at their California Service facility. At the time it was necessary to return the guitar to them for the fix. Not sure what the status is now in terms of where the fix is done but it is good to be aware that the earliest versions needed the new hardware.

Mine had it, I returned it and they quickly fixed it. No out of pocket. It has been a while now so that may have changed but it is worth asking.

Atmospheric likes this.
  7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

SW is only "pricey" if one can readily find others in similar condition at lower prices. Did you have a link you wished to share? 'Cause I looked high and low, at both new and used.

Comparing a deal you got two years ago to what's available now usually isn't constructive. For example, I once paid $25 for an original TS-808 tubescreamer. I don't expect that to ever happen again.

These instruments sort of have "white elephant" written all over them. So the ability to try for 30 days and return for full price less return shipping is worth something to me personally. Much more than being able to save ~$100 by buying a used one.

For example, here's one I had hoped to get for around ~$400-ish.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SLG200NW/333532489947?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=84ccd9630d784e9981420a7c731e0162&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=333532489947&itm=333532489947&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Right now, it's sitting at $562.60 shipped. Assuming I was able to buy that one with a $5 higher bid (big assumption), I'd potentially save a whopping $122.40 by buying used. Not what I call a compelling deal considering that it's a you-bought-it-you-own-it transaction and I'd have to bear the burden of reselling it if it didn't stick with me.

All the used ones on Reverb are more than that. I offered on two.

The market is speaking. I have to respect that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  8. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

You even quoted the part where I said, "new".

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

So can you get a new one for that price now? Enquiring minds want to know.

I think you misunderstand the larger point of my post. I mean, congrats. You got a great deal. But that has absolutely no bearing on any of us buying new today.

'Hope I cleared that up for ya. Be well.

10. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

11. fruknobulax

fruknobulax Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering getting one of these, curious to hear how you like it and what you're using it for and through......

12. spence

spence Supporting Member

fruknobulax,
    I'm hoping it will be usable in a live situation, although I'm not playing out at the moment. I'll be using it with a Genzler Line Array Pro amp with the extension cabinet. I should have it back from my luthier today or tomorrow. I'll post back when I get it.

13. spence

spence Supporting Member

UPDATE:

Got the guitar back today. HUGE difference after the setup. It plays extremely nice now. Miles better than out of the case. I had my tech put 10's on it, and I was a bit worried it would be too slinky, but it still feels like an acoustic guitar and it plays great. If you get one of these, be sure to get a setup.

Atmospheric likes this.
  14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

Just unpacked the 200NW. I dig it thus far. It sounds great in through my Loudbox Mini. The action does seem a bit high but not prohibitively so.

Right now I’m inclined to keep it but I have thirty days to decide for sure.

15. spence

spence Supporting Member

Congrats on the new guitar! Give it a few days, and see what you think. I'm enjoying the heck out of mine. A pro setup took it to another level for me, and it sounds a lot better than my other acoustics with k&k pickups. Being able to blend the pickup and mic sounds together make a huge difference. I don't think I've ever gone from an initial instant dislike for a guitar, to liking it this much. All it took was a setup and string change to lighter strings.

16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

It’s pretty clear that the action needs to be taken down. I’m working up Tarrega’s Lagrima and Adelita. While very elementary, those pieces use the entire neck from nut position to XII. Fingering is quite challenging up the neck. I do like the wider classical neck profile.

I don’t want to do a setup until I’m sure I’ll keep it. I still have another 20 days or so on the approval period. My normal setup guy is in Portland. With COVID19, it might be best to let some time pass. But the more I play it with high action the better I’ll do with proper action.

I’ve owned several guitars with dual element PU systems. I agree that it sounds really musical, much better than K&K’s Trinity or Baggs Dual Source.

Bottom line, it’s a lot of guitar for the money.

derekd likes this.
  17. spence

spence Supporting Member

Did you get it at Sweetwater? My rep said I could return it even if the setup wasn't to my liking. If you drive straight to your guitar tech, you would be safe unless he has symptoms, or works at a place with crowds of people. Stay away from crowds.

Atmospheric likes this.
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

I just got it back after the setup. Much mo bedda.

19. spence

spence Supporting Member

That's great news! I'm really enjoying mine. I added a couple extra strap buttons (Schaller) to mine. I don't care for the combo strap button/frame attachment thing. I'll probably buy a different gig bag (don't care for the stock bag) so I can leave the guitar together all the time, and I'll be putting some loctite or threadmate on the frame attachment threads.

20. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

[​IMG]