1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Silent Guitar Users

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by spence, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Silver

Silver Member

Maybe an odd question... Is the guitar usable/playable without the bass side frame attached?

2. feet

feet Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was just curious, for extrapolation purposes. I got to learn differences between oak and maple drums by flipping through their presets, for example. Was hoping to do the same here, where if it's modeled after, say, a cedar top with rosewood back and sides, I could use that info to inform a further purchase that is sure to one day come :D maybe I'd prefer a spruce top, or cypress or whatever.

I guess the controls won't allow it, but it would have been cool to have a couple of flavors to pick from. Or a classical and flamenco, or something. I don't think I noticed a USB port for updates. Maybe for the next gen, which is sure to come soon because I just pulled the trigger on one.

As ever, I love and hate you all in equal measure :p

Atmospheric likes this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

I just tried it. It works OK for plectrum playing but classical finger style doesn't work so well because the right hand position is all wrong.

Silver likes this.
  4. Silver

Silver Member

Thanks for doing that. Makes sense, great point. I was thinking it might not be a million miles off the Steinberger clones I've had in terms of anchoring the hand, but of course fingers v plectrum is a biggie.

Atmospheric likes this.
  5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

you're going to have to wait for Fender to drop a Nylon Acoustasonic, which they won't ever do. They have a bunch of different settings on those for steel strings. jumbo/dread/small body etc. To me the Yamaha is a choice of more quack to almost no quack. :cool:

Atmospheric likes this.
  6. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

Exactly. The modeling is not playing a sample. There’s no latency. It seems more restricted to the Mic side of the Blend control. The pickup signal feels totally analog... it’s fast and responsive to nuances of attack. Also very warm and musical. The onboard Bass and a Treble controls are also very musical. It’s pretty hard to get a bad sound out of it. My preferred mix is 70% pickup 30% mic.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  7. feet

OK, mine came in today. I noodled for about half an hour, twiddling things and figuring it out and testing it through headphones and an amp.

It's pretty good.

The piezo is about what you'd expect. no better or worse than any other out there. Plenty fine for what it is. The mic is on par with the fishman aura, I think. Maybe I'll compare the two later but this totally works. At 100% you get that modeled mic weirdness thing, so it's similar in that regard, too.

Reverb sounds nice in the cans but it's crazy powerful through an amp, so careful with that. Eq and tuner work fine.

The nut is manageable, the neck isn't too bad. the tension is a little low, but I tuned it down to keep it like that. Some new strings should help. Craftsmanship seems solid all around. Not as light as you'd think but no trouble getting around. It breaks down into the bag much smaller than I expected. I didn't think this would be a viable travel guitar, but I'm leaning " yes" now.

The " too much sustain" complaint is valid but might not be an issue for most. And the whole thing might take some getting used to be it looks to be a winner thus far.

And best of all, my old man really likes it. Hearing loss forced him to put his classical down years ago so he's very impressed and is excited to get back to it. The styling ( and sound) drew lots of oohs and ahhs from all. makes a handsome pair with my wood finished Roland ac33, so the whole thing is mom approved. :)

slightly curious about the steel one now, though I suspect the nylon is the better of the two.

Atmospheric likes this.
  8. feet

Any thoughts or tips about how to record this thing? It took me several attempts to get the gain staging right and keep the noise floor down. Not entirely displeased with early returns, though. Just trying to learn it's strengths and weaknesses. Seems like it is best suited to sort of poppy (for want of a better term) single note stuff. A little weak on the strumming and arpeggiated chords are somewhere in between. Then again, I'm clearly not a nylon guy and am just a singer/songwriter over here.

Was having some weird, pokey frequencies something through in the upper end of the spectrum but thar seemed to have cleared up when I tuned the guitar to standard from a while step down, so I suppose the piezo is finicky about that kind of thing.

Little curious about a setup now, as the action could stand to be lower. The nut and bridge appear to be plastic; would swapping those for bone make a difference? Any string or tension that this thing seems to like more, if that even matters? Just trying to figure out how to minimize the fakeness, not that there is much to begin with. Also need to adjust my technique keep the fakeness at bay.

All that said, I might be ready to declare this thing a winner.

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

I plugged mine straight into my RME Babyface. As you can hear from my clip, it recorded beautifully. I did not even use a noise gate on the channel, or any amp/effects models. Straight in. Tiny bit of compression and some EQ trim. I mixed the onboard to about 70-30% pickup-mic.

The mic sounds kind of mushy to my ears. I've also started turning the onboard Bass control almost all the way off. If you listen to how gut string is typically recorded, it's almost always mid heavy with very little bass.

I couldn't get a bad sound out of my set up. Your noise issue suggests to me that you may have a bad cord. I use Mogami exclusively in my studio.

What DAW and interface are you using?

Interfaces make a lot of difference. IME, low end interfaces sound bad in a dozen different ways. I've never had acceptable results with bottom feeders like Focusrite and Presonus. You can't polish a turd. If the interface is crap anything you record will be crap.

10. feet

It took me some time to find the optimal gain staging. I'm not even sure if I did. Maybe 50% on the guitar volume, bypassing my preamps (shadow hills) and into my interface (Roland octacapture) into studio one. Went through several options before stopping there. It isn't the cord, there were just too many things between point a and b.

Took some doing, but I was able to finesse some ok tracks out of it. Then an idea hit and I got out the old fishman aura. And that sounds way better. Not all of them, mind you, but several are really nice and you and try a few to compliment your playing; something to better suit strumming or single note stuff. Nice to have a few flavors to choose from now.

I need more time with everything but it went from a pleasant surprise to something more. Let's just say that now I'm very, very curious to know what happens when you combine the steel string with the aura. Piezos hate being strummed but if the steel works as well as the nylon with the aura, that would be a massive problem solver and a huge time/money saver.

From what little I can tell, the stock steel modeling isn't going to cut it for recording like the nylon can. And it predictably sounded like ass with a tone Dexter, so it's hard to know if it'll be the ultimate blank canvas to slap images or irs over, or a complete dud. Surely someone had tried this before? I'd hate to pay full price plus tax and shipping to essentially borrow one to find out, with so many available on the used market. And they just put out a new gen of silent bass, so you figure something new is coming sooner or later.

11. Rick Clogston

Rick Clogston Member

I haven't gone through all the posts yet, so this may have already been covered. I have one of the steel string models, and love it. But, the little plastic battery pack is broken. Is it possible to get replacements?

12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

I'd start with the Yamaha USA web site. That's what any repair person would have to do.

Years ago I bought a Yamaha Classical guitar from GC. I didn't realize until months later that the under saddle piezo pickup was non-functioning (just the internal mic worked). I attempted to obtain a replacement part but was unsuccessful. But I think you may have better luck with a current model instrument.

Rick Clogston likes this.
  13. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

It is like... the ultimate travel plug-and-play guitar concept. You can get away plugging the thing into any thing with a powered speaker. I did a wedding gig in the woods of England, all I brought was the Silent Guitar and a bag of different cables and spare AAs (1/8", 1/8 to RCA, 1/4", 1/4-1/8 adaptor, etc.) just in case I ran into complications. Plugged into an Anker battery speaker with from the headphone jack to the aux 1/8". Tuned my guitar with the built-in tuner, threw on some reverb and it filled the space perfectly well.

You could practice with the headphones at the airport (or anywhere).

Atmospheric likes this.