Silent playing options – Yamaha THR vs. Cab Clone vs. Amp XLR-Out

EastHastings

I'm looking to add a silent recording option to my home studio for jamming and recording demos (nothing professional). After some discussion and a trip to my local store, I think I've settled on 3 options:

1) Mesa Cab Clone with my current amp. Staff at my local store recommended this to me, although for $300 I could also get...

2) Yamaha THR. Easy solution, good amp, although I'd only use it for practice.

3) Bassbreaker 15 + XLR out. I'd be spending more, but I'd get both a silent recording option and a quality amp. GAS is also a factor.

So, here is my question - out of these options, which would you pick? I think there are pros and cons for each one, and I could see myself using any one of them.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I can only comment on the Cab Clone.

I have a Mesa MKV25. And I go in direct often out of its Cab Clone. I am very satisfied with it. Very good piece of kit.

Cgkindler

The THR has a really good headphone out, plus the amp itself is GREAT for anything "sub drummer" level...truly, a sonic wonder...

That said, if you're ONLY wanting REALLY good headphone playing, the best piece of kit thus far has been my HD500x....the headphone jack and the modeling has given me some crazy good headphone sessions.

Of course, an app on your phone and a simple interface may give you 85% of what you're looking for, and only cost you $25/$50 max.

The cool part about the THR is that you have SO MUCH MORE to have fun with.....you'll be surprised...if you want to really throw people for a loop, bring it to a gig when you've got excellent monitoring/In-Ears, and set the THR10 up on a stool, and mic that sucker with a 57 or i5, and watch people come up afterwards asking you where the heck your cab is.....SO MUCH WIN! :)

Good fun! :)

No matter what, good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!!

EastHastings

Thanks for your advice! The THR definitely seems like the easiest option. It would be nice to just plug in and play. I may have to weigh that against the tube amp route.

Brutus

I have a half-dozen amps, but if I were to play out again, the first thing I'd try would be to mic my THR. Right now I've got a waza BD-2 running into the Lead setting. Just sounds wonderful.

Cgkindler

Thanks for your advice! The THR definitely seems like the easiest option. It would be nice to just plug in and play. I may have to weigh that against the tube amp route.
Right on brother. If I've helped convince you to get one, try it at home, having the ability to return it of course, then I've done my musical good deed of the day. :)

It's one of those amps that you wonder what you did without it. Plus do not forget - it's also able to be battery powered! And there's a SWEET case from Yamaha for it as well!!

golfnutt67

I just jumped on the bandwagon, and one is on its way....... looking forward to it.....thanks for your informative post on them. :aok

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I only have experience with a Mesa Cab Clone. Through a PA with a decent sound guy you're gonna get some really good sounds. I was actually surprised at how good it sounded. Take this for what it's worth, good luck on your journey :)

tmac

Goldmember
Gold Supporting Member
Nobody picking the Fender Bassbreaker 15? If you need a good gig amp plus record and live sound options that would be a great choice. That looks to be a great amp. And an all in one solution for gigging, recording, rehearsing etc . I don't think u can go wrong there if u have the coin.

Der JD

I'd go for the Bassbreaker. I have the 15 watt head. Incredible amp that sounds great at any volume.

I actually haven't even tried the silent direct out but what I really like about it is that you can turn the onboard cab emulation off. This way your could run it through an IR loader (hardware or software based) and play through the "virtual" cab of your choice.

Trending Topics