Silent practice equipment recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GorgeousTones75, Jul 22, 2019.

1. GorgeousTones75

GorgeousTones75 Member

Hey! I tend to run on a bit too much in these so I’ll try to be brief..

*Im wondering how far you can get using an; iPhone, A nice set of headphones, An relatively inexpensive interface (i.e. close to 100$ Irig hd 2, Apogee Jam..) And one of the related apps?? Awhile back I bought the cheaper Irig and used IK Multimedia’s app which seems to have improved since its earlier versions and I definitely like the look/layout.

* Now it seems to me that the better modeling sounds (excluding for now the more pricey Ax-Fx, Kemper, Amplifire etc..) Typically come via desktop or laptops. Would that be fair to say?? Basically is the PC version of Amplitube superior to the iPhone version in most cases?

*Like I said earlier I do think the Amplitube stuff is fun, I know that some folks despise it for it’s limitations and lack of depth in customization. But manipulating the “power tubes” and tweaking 30 some odd parameters of a Reverb unit definitely isn’t my cup of tea anyway.
    *What I’d like to know is; If I were to upgrade the noisy passive Irig interface. Would that be enough to improve the iPhone apps significantly enough to be competitive sonically with say, Yamaha THR..?? Or other devices in that approximate price category? And if not are there devices that I should be aware of that are perhaps better (less than 350$)?? I already own a bunch of high end, “real” amps, guitars, & pedals. So unless something changes, I really don’t think anything much more $$ is worth it to me personally. Ideally this discussion only concerns silent practice @home through headphones.. Thanks!

2. primemover12

primemover12 Member

I didn't think much of Amplitube for iOS. On the contrary, I think Bias FX sounds pretty poor on the PC, but considerably better on iOS. So maybe give that a try?

GorgeousTones75 likes this.
  3. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

I think Amplitube is very decent. Bias can sound pretty good, but something about it just turns me off. Amplitube is my go to on iOS for sure. The effects are pretty weak though. Tonestack is pretty awful as are GarageBand's built in amps.

4. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

Just a word to the wise, bolding and underlining whole paragraphs of text is not a great way to get more attention to your post. It makes it more difficult to read, so most people are going to dismiss it outright.

If you own some high end gear then treat these mobile apps for what they are...a fun way to get some halfway decent tones on the go. I keep an old iPhone 6 and iRig2 laying around for that purpose and it’s sometimes fun to mess with, but it’s not anything I’d use seriously instead of a real modeler.

5. GorgeousTones75

GorgeousTones75 Member

-Haha, Fair enough I appreciate the feedback.. But I don’t underline, italic, or bold the text of my threads to standout or attempt to generate more attention to my posts. I actually do it as a way of highlighting the most important or integral points of what I’m asking about. It also serves as a way of summarizing a post that someone doesn’t want/have time for reading in its entirety. Whether or not it actually works that way, I can’t say. But I only do it to help people, definitely not for attention! Essentially it’s like saying here’s the bottom line, Ok??
    ;)

6. GorgeousTones75

GorgeousTones75 Member

It appears to me that the general consensus here is; Sure it’s fun to mess around with but it’s nothing you’re going to want to invest a good chunk of $$ into..

I’m still wondering what other possibilities exist in the market for silent practice that sounds good. Thoughts??

7. Ejay

Ejay Member

How about using one of your amps...use the send to feed a mooer radar...put that into anything that amps a headphone.
    If its an amp that does gain in its preamp ...gonna sound much better then iOS apps..and is....90 bucks?

Desktop solution...sgear is a great sounding plug-in.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  8. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

As soon as you start spending ANY money on it, you are better off spending a bit more.

The cheap iRig and free amps are great for learning songs on the go..just cary the cable in your gig bag and you already have your phone.
    No brainer.

But if you actually want it to good, get a little modeler.

JerEvil likes this.
  9. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

Except....and I’ve done this.
    I have sat outside on a park bench with a coffee and an iPad writing charts for a gig (on the iPad) while playing the songs and running an amp emulator on my phone.

So I keep the cable in my gig bag for that

MojoRisin likes this.
  10. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

Oops, I removed my post because ultimately I decided I was only adding confusion to the topic.

I agree, I have a little mobile rig that is fun for that kind of thing. I'm just saying I wouldn't choose it as a daily practice tool.

John Mark Painter likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Get a mini amp. That is about the easiest way for silent practicing, no messing around with phone apps.

MojoRisin likes this.
  12. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

Yeah OK, I guess I am wrong. You'd need some kind of preamp pedal to use a Radar without involving an amp. For some reason I was thinking it had some amp modeling going on too. It's just a cab simulator.

13. Briandress

Briandress Member

hey man not sure what kind of equipment you are open to using but ill share my experience. I had an irig hd and it kinda sucked. I got a bheringer 204 umc hd and it was a little better. I then got a native instruments ka6 and am much happier with my direct sound.

iphone stuff is cool to play with. Bias FX is capable of excellent sounds.

my favorite silent practice is on PC with the current Neural DSP plugins. They are exceptional. better than any amp sim ive tried. Perhaps this is due to the included ML sound labs IRs.

id reccomend checking out a trial of neural dsp stuff with some nice cans and a better interface.

mmmaslowski likes this.