Silent Relays for a looper?

rhoydotp

I'm working on a DIY project using Arduino to control an A/B looper and would like to use silent (click-less) relays to engage/disengage the loops. Anybody know where I can get one that can be used to pass audio signal?

Thanks in advance!

Jack DeVille

Any 2 Form C relay should suffice.
Keep in mind, the relay is not "Click-Less."
Click-Less is a brand of products I designed and manufacture. The Click-Less True-Bypass circuit is proprietary. Just using a relay to perform bypass functions does not make for a "Click-Less" system or ensure quiet operation. In fact, you will likely have a ton of switching noise.

rhoydotp

Any 2 Form C relay should suffice.
In fact, you will likely have a ton of switching noise.

thanks for chiming in ... it was really kinda shot in the dark to get a "silent" relay. but when you say "switching noise", do you mean that it will add noise to the signal? or do you mean that it will be more noise due to the 'click' that is inherent to relays?

Thanks again!

rhoydotp

Thanks Jack ... looks like I need a little bit more complexed solution than I originally thought.

I wonder what all the digitally controlled loopers are using, would it be similar to your "Click-Less" technology?

Jack DeVille

I know it looks like a small PCB with a few parts stuck in it, but there's A LOT more than meets the eye going on within the Click-Less™ circuit.
Controlling a relay / other electro-mechanical device via analog or digital means is a challenge that can be considered trivial, or highly complex depending on the designer's knowledge base and experience. There's at least 10,000 ways to eff this chicken, and 10,000 engineers will give you 100,000 replies.

Frankly, I have no idea what is going on inside the available digitally controlled loopers, but I can tell you, if you want it robust, quiet and reliable, you're not gonna make it smaller or cheaper than the Click-Less™ circuit.

:)

I think a lot of it is how far you want to delve into the challenge. Here's a few things you may have already considered:

-How fast does the system need to run?
-What are the operating voltage/current requirements/limitations?
-Is current consumption a consideration/concern?
-Do you care what happens if supply power sags momentarily? If so, how much for how long?
-Does the system need state retention/memory? If so, for what duration?
-Are you going to de-bounce the trigger/switch in hardware or in firmware?
-What type(s) of trigger/switch will be used? Does the system need to accommodate more than one type of input?
-What happens in the event of input failure/out-of-scope input?
-Do you require visual indication? If so, how many indicators/drivers?
-Is the logic active-high or active low?
-Does parts count/cost matter?
-Does the system need to detect faults? If so, what are the potential faults and hazards? How will they be addressed?

There's a lot more to think about, but again, its how far you want to take it.

:beer

rhoydotp

There's a lot more to think about, but again, its how far you want to take it.

Oh yeah, i definitely know that there's a lot more to do. I've got 2 young kids and a full-time job so this is supposed to be a fun hobby whenever I get an hour or two to actually do something for myself. i do have an engineering degree but it's been a while since I've touched the electronic/hardware side of things. anyway, your input has been a great help! :beer

Trending Topics

Top Bottom