1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Silent Suhr is here

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mattmccloskey, Aug 20, 2005.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

My new classic arrived-
    alder body in sonic blue, parchment plastic stuff, 3 v60lp's, 1088 trem, 60's vintage standard neck carve, rosewood board, gotoh staggered klusons,tusq nut, 1 11/16 nut width, 5 way, tone neck/middle, tone bridge.
    All my fave specs. PLUS....
    6100 sized SS frets (not 6105) love these frets, like nice big heavy but now SS for smoothness, shine, and minimal wear! this is a new option.
    And of course... Silent Coil System!
    The silent coil system is not really a shock or anything. The sound is just the sound of the regular v60lp strat tone. Just no buzz, simple. If you like the suhr v60lp tone, and don't want noise, there you have it. When you plug in it seems like you have a DSV or something before playing. Then, you play and it's the v60lp. No other way to describe it, same tone, no noise.
    This is also the lightest alder strat I have owned, lighter than my other suhrs. Very comfy and resonant. The combo of light weight, neck carve,1088, klusons, alder/rosewood,and v60lps make this one very vintage toned and vibed, not modern or bright in any way- except for big smooth frets and no buzz, and better intonnation. The perfection of the stratocaster!

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Sounds very cool. A few questions:

Pics?

How big are those frets? I've never had a guitar with 6100's, but I have Anderson "Heavy" SS frets that I prefer over the Suhr 6105 SS frets (which I have on a Suhr Tele). I'm wondering how much bigger the 6100's are over the Anderson heavys.

Are the pickups truly silent if you are sitting in front of a big CRT?

3. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

I believe that they are silent from self noise. No pickup is going to be able to reject RFI since that is exactly what they detect.

JT

4. mattmccloskey

no pics yet but soon.
    the pickups are as quiet as good humbuckers. Any weird neon light type stuff you would get with any pickup you still can get. You just don't get any 'single coil noise'.
    The frets are very similiar size to the anderson heavy SS. About as tall as 6105 but wider.

5. Den

Den Member

Congrats ... sounds like an amazing new member of your family. Hope it turns out to be the best ever.

6. Beer

Beer Member

Very cool, matt. When you coming up to CT to show it to me? I have the studio over garage (SOG) finished.

7. evhfan

evhfan Member

8. stratofied

stratofied Member

Is the silent coil system an active (powered) or passive system?

9. mattmccloskey

hey tedster, I would love to see the SOG. amy and I are planning on something by early october this year to see the leaves change and all. definitely we will get over to the casa de ted and see you and the fam. I will let you know in advance and we will hook it up.

stratofied- the suhr system is passive- no batteries or anything at all.