Silicon Fuzz Face on a budget (in the UK)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sandwell, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Sandwell

Sandwell Member

Hey guys I really wanna get a Silicon fuzz face clone but I don't have too much money to spend and I live in the UK which hinders my choices somewhat...
    I can afford a Dunlop JHF1, Monsterpiece NPN Jr or possibly a Fulltone 70 (all 2nd hand) and I'm going for the Gilmour "Pompeii"/Townsend "Live at Leeds" harmonic fuzzy silicon sound. What should I go for? theres also BYOC but I'd barely be saving anything being in the UK...
    cheers!

2. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

How tight a budget? Is it possible to get Stomp Under Foot pedals? The Hellephant is the best silicon fuzz face inspired pedal I've tried to date, lots of harmonic mayhem going on in all the best ways. They retail at $155 which would lead me to believe they can be gotten pretty affordably second hand, if you can find one

3. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Hey what about that MXR? Wasn't that a silicon fuzz face with a buffer?

EDIT: Yeah, the Classic 108. I'd do that in a second.

4. Sandwell

Sandwell Member

Import tax will make any pedal from america out of my budget :(

5. Sandwell

Sandwell Member

why that one over the others? it sounds a bit 2D to me...

6. jay42

jay42 Member

If you can get a Fulltone '70, just do that and don't worry about it...however, The Who Live At Leeds is a Univox Super Fuzz, which is a more complicated piece. Research it at Whotabs.

7. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Perhaps I'm not a silicon fuzz face aficionado then :) I always thought it sounded cool. I use a Black Cat OD/Fuzz for my silicon stuff, but I sense that one's gonna be expensive.