Silicon Fuzz, what rocks into a semi clean bright amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dog Boy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I need a Silcon Fuzz into a 1x12 combo set semi clean and fairly bright. I'd like a fairly small footprint if possible and a bias knob would be great even if its an internal trim knob, but I'd prefer it on the outside.

The 200 lb. has my eye but you sure do see lots for sale. Jetter Blue is another. I love the clips on both those pedals.

The London offerings sound great too but do those NEED a fairly dirty amp to get off the ground?

Any others?

2. iggs

iggs Member

3. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

4. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI yep I have the 2 stage Fuzz with the BC 108 silicon Fuzz and the NKT 275 germ Fuzz. Great Fuzz pedals wonderfull sound.
    Peace Strat58

5. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

those clips sound great but he is playin into a fairly cranked 67 PA. How does the Hartman sound into smaller combo's? Any clips of that?

I'll check out the Skreddy too. His stuff usually is killer.

6. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

With Fuzzes...(esp silicon) into a clean combo amp, they sound great if you run them into a light overdrive then to the amp. It will really smooth them out and rock

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

The Fulltone 70 Pedal is an excellent silicon fuzz. I don't feel the need for another one. It cleans up well and provides lots of shades in between, is quiet, and cuts very well.

8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Throbak Overdrive Boost.
    http://www.gundrymedia.typepad.com/
    It's my favorite fuzz/overdrive/clean and dirty booster pedal. And it's extremely versatile when it comes to your rig. Very forgiving. Just a monster pedal.

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

Foxrox Hot Silicon works very well into a cleanish, bright combo. It lacks a trim control, but the fuzz knob can be used almost anywhere, which is rare for a fuzz face type, they usually like to be cranked or almost cranked.

10. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

+1 on this.

11. gregory49

gregory49 Member

MJM London Fuzz II or a Analog Man Slicon BC108 Sunface. They sound good with super reverbs so .. they're fairlybright amps.

12. CC GunZ

CC GunZ Member

I highly recommend Dunlop's JH-F1 fuzzface (Hendrix Reissue). It can get pretty dark if needed by rolling the fuzz and/or volume back. Even with the fuzz all the way up it is still not very bright. I haven't tried it with an overly bright amp so I can't truly vouch for it in that context. You might be able to find one at GC so you could at least hear it first.

Just realized this might not work for you based on your need for a small footprint....

13. woude

woude Member

I just got a fulltone 70. There might be better ones out there, esp. the analogman with the external bias seems to be a wonderfull fuzz, but the fulltone 70 does a great job. Lots of sounds, really fat and full sounding but also bright and gritty all with a turn of the volume knob. Recommended.

I like it much better than my fulltone 69, if that says anything.

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Fulltone 70 is an awesome fuzz! From JH to EJ in a box! Very dynamic and full sounding, versatile gain range, plus a mids tone pot. My wife picked this up to surprise me a few months ago, and surprised I was! Very nice.
    Best Regards!

16. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I have great luck with my Monsterpiece 2-headed NPN/PNP, you can find a used one for around $150 and have 2 fuzzes to mess with. I play through a 1x12 combo that is bright in nature, but I use my guitar tone knobs a lot.