Silicon or Germanium Treble Booster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pythonman, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

Ok, I got a fantastic new Brian May Red Special guitar for Xmas and it sounds great and all with my AC15C1 with Celestion Alnico Blue and my Yardbox but I am very interested in getting an actual treble boost pedal now to really nail those vintage Queen guitar tones. All along I've thought it would be cool to get an Analog Man Beano Boost, and it still might be but then I heard about the Greg Fryer BM Treble Boost pedals which I believe have silicon transistors and totally cop to old Brian May clean and crunch tones. The only minor drawback is I'll have to get some sort of effect bypass loop box so I can switch the Fryer in and out of the signal path since the Fryers dont have on/off buttons or knobs. My question is, do the Fryers work good with other instruments the way something like a Beano Boost will or is it pretty much a one trick pony? I mean, I may end up getting one of each, germanium and silicon treble boosters if I have to. I guess what I'm interested in is anyone with a Fryer to comment on how versatile they might be. Thanks.

2. rawpower

rawpower Member

both, get a plum crazy fx squawk, very versatile with some updates from the original but still true to the original sound.
    also i have no experience with any of the other treble boosters you mentioned

EDIT: i forgot to mention the squawk has both silicone and germanium transistors on a toggle switch.

3. utterhack

utterhack Member

first, congratulations. everyone should have a rangemaster handy. for what it's worth, it's a pretty simple circuit and for your first one you'll probably be pretty happy with any of the quality builds that are out there today. beano is a great place to start because it's well known and a great reference if you decide you want to try others.

the new wave of more tweakable versions (plum crazy squawk as mentioned above, catalinbread naga viper) add a little in terms of modern usability/versatility, but they won't necessarily sound any better than a more classic type. note that unless you're already running the AC15 loud enough for natural crunch you may want to put a light OD between the treble boost and the amp.

have fun!

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  4. thewex

thewex Member

yeah why not have both? the Throbak Strangemaster is another good one!

5. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Naga Viper.

Lots of flexibility on the tone/boost ranges. I cannot reco it highly enough!

6. xntrick

xntrick Member

The BYOC tri-boost has both in one pedal. The germanium side sounds fantastic but only with an actual 9-volt battery, when using a power supply it is very noisy especially if you factor in any 60 cycle hum.

7. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

I don't know anything about the Fryer, but a rangemaster clone with a CV7003 (Military OC44) is my favorite.
    Goes great with my AC30.

8. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

Well thanks for the many good suggestions. Many to choose from! I think I like the Retroman better than the Analogman already. Hmmm.... The clips of the Squawk box sound cool. For the money I'll pass on the Throbak pedal. Had a Stonebender and while nice it wasn't my cup of tea. Weak, boxy and papery lows and not much good fuzz. The Strangemaster seems like much of the same albeit even less versatile.

9. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Great pedal I agree. It has all the versatility you could need without giving up the vintage circuit, kind of a classic/modern thing.

The germ ones can sound killer. But sometimes their warmth to me takes away from the effect a little. Just sometimes with warmer ones. But not gonna lie, the good germ ones have their own character which is lovely.

Silicon is kinda compatible with the treble booster circuit idea, IMHO, as it is a tad more clear, muscular and bright.

Ideally I would have a tranny selector on my Naga. Must be nice to be a pedal builder...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    Feverdog likes this.
  11. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I like both
    For me:
    Si = Metal
    Ge = Rock

12. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

Don't forget to factor in that germanium pedals can be unpredictable on hot stages. I also may be in the minority in believing that there are a lot of more impactful factors than the actual transistor type.

13. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Dazatronyx Germanium Amplifier+ treble booster (“Rangemaster”):

... has both germanium and silicon, selected by a mini toggle switch. Diggin’ mine with the Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini and the Vox AC10.

Terrific Australia maker; check out his wares at the link, above.