• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Silly CL/Reverb negotiation tactics

COYS

I'm sure TGP must have some more funny stories, but I just got this one -

Guitar on CL advertised at 1500, which is just a little above the typical Reverb price guide value. Guy emails me, and his email contains only one sentence: "The price is 1500". I reply that yes, that is the price. He responds "I am not interested". Ok then :knitting

Another time a while back, I email someone who's selling something and ask if it's really "mint" as he said in the ad. He replies "What do you consider mint?" I responded saying something like, it has very little fret wear, it doesn't have scratches on it, it has all the parts, it has no mods. He responds "It's what I consider mint but not what you consider mint". :huh

What funny negotiating tactics or buyer/seller interactions have you seen?

Whitecat

When people make offers ending in “99”.

I always laugh at this because this idea is a sales tactic, not a buying tactic.
Psychologically, if they upped it by $1 and thus increased the next digit(s) then the seller is far more likely to accept or at least engage because the offer will seem that much higher.

Arcadia

Silver Supporting Member
Another time a while back, I email someone who's selling something and ask if it's really "mint" as he said in the ad. He replies "What do you consider mint?" I responded saying something like, it has very little fret wear, it doesn't have scratches on it, it has all the parts, it has no mods. He responds "It's what I consider mint but not what you consider mint". :huh
Yeah, I've seen this one a lot, not just CL. Some people think any functioning item in good condition is "MINT". Mint is mint ... as in, just like a brand new guitar fresh out of the box. Anything less than that is at best near-mint.

Arcadia

Silver Supporting Member
The one that gets me is the guy who says, "I'm more than an hour away, will you give me a big discount because of the long drive?" I've gotten that one multiple times on CL.

Declassified

the guy who "forgets the last 20 dollars after showing up to buy an item for an agreed price. Sorry man, you're gonna have to go find an ATM if you the item, then he randomly finds it in his other pocket. **** off with that.

Jett

Gold Supporting Member
Had a guitar for sale on CL. Had a guy offer to trade for his guitar that I had no interest in. He was pissed and gave me a bunch of crap for not wanting to do the deal.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
Had a guy last year low ball me on a guitar I had up on CL. A ridiculous offer on a rather modestly priced guitar. I responded "No thank you." He came back a day later, all pissed off. "That's not how this works. I make an offer. If you don't like it, you make a counter offer ..." And so on. Lecturing me, upset.

So this time I reply: "Saying 'no thank you' is a polite way of saying 'I have no interest in your offer, or in having you buy my guitar at any price.' Two play this game. Not one. I don't play by your rules. And I just ended it. Capishe??"

Funny stuff. He's not the first guy who seems to be learning how to bargain from the "Craigslist offers for dummies" book.

RC Mike

I love ads that say “New in the box” with photos of them holding the item, plainly not new in the box. Words have lost all meaning for some folks.

Trending Topics