Silly Improvisation...

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Shredcow, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I did a little improvisation over some outrageous (I had to play by ear) backing track.

I had some issues with the software side of things so I ended up playing line in, output thru computer speakers and picked up by Webcam mic. So you'll hear A LOT of picking noises and especially the switch flicking... I'm using a brass dugain pick too.

I think it would be good if you guys could comment on the playing. I'm always looking to improve my improvisation skills so I'm all ears to critique. The idea for this jam was just... going over the top and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwE8UdN_rNA

2. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Sounded great to me! I certainly can't play like that.

3. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

hahaha... well, thanks man... I was trying to fake my way thru lots of wrong notes. Play it fast enough, its sounds fusion-ish. In a bad way.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

That was a fun ride... thanks for posting ..!!

Ya know... you've got some really nice chops combined with a good muscial sense ...
    Now except for some of those obviously big, in your face, clunkers...
    it doesn't sound like you're faking it all that much ...

5. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

You may have invented a new genre: Happy Metal

When your head gets so big that you're having trouble getting into your car, then I'll offer critique. However, since your humility is in tact, the only appropriate thing to give is encouragement.

Just keep playing.

6. Scoredog

Scoredog Member

Great chops, nice and clean yet still rocking.

I found it real interesting that it seemed you recorded at such a low volume you can hear the plain guitar through the video.

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I was thinking about this and since you titled this "Silly Improvisation" I have some advice. Never underestimate silliness. People need entertainment in their lives and funny and lightness are sometimes hard to come by.

I had a friend I used to go and jam with all the time. We were both in different bands. He used to start up a bunch of sequences and we did this goofy Kraftwerk thing that we didn't take seriously at the time because 1) it wasn't macho and 2) it was goofy. In hindsight, I think we could have started a phenomenon at the time (this was the 80's you know and that sort of thing played well back then). I see it as one of my missed opportunities now. We used to just laugh the whole time we were making that wierd music.

8. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I actually forgot about this thread. Sheesh. Had the notification email then lost it in the whole bunch of emails after that...

Well, eBay sir, thanks for the advice. You're right actually - funny and lightness are hard to come by. That's probably why I love listening early Vai stuff, Gilbert and Mattias Eklundh - the things they play are full of humor.

9. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Crikey - how could you knock that.

Nice playing fella.

To be honest I struggled to hear the BT through the laptop speakers. If you played some duffers they flew past my ears so fast I failed to clock them.