Silly question... balancing rack on cabinet?

PFDarkside

Is there a “proper” method to balance a smaller (6u) rack on top of a cabinet? I don’t want this falling off, and obviously it’s deeper than a head. Any tips and tricks from the veterans?

LPVM

Buy a shallow rack. That's what I did. The only thing that sets off my gear OCD more than a 20" deep rack hanging off the back of a speaker cabinet is when people stack wide heads on top of a narrow rack.

Last edited:

Marshall_SLX

Itl be fine with rubber feet... if its an ABS plastic case just put some rubber feet over the plastic ones... should be able to get stick on adhesive ones

drewl

Buy a shallow rack. That's what I did. The only thing that sets off my gear OCD more than a 20" deep rack hanging off the back of a speaker cabinet is when people stack wide heads on top of a narrow rack.

That's what I have, the size of a Marshall smallbox head.

I put six large rubber feet on it so it sits and balances on top of my amps, over their handles, rock solid.

And it looks great too!

PFDarkside

That's what I have, the size of a Marshall smallbox head.

I put six large rubber feet on it so it sits and balances on top of my amps, over their handles, rock solid.

And it looks great too!
Can I see these?

Right now I’ve got a Gator ABS case with a 2:90, it’s pretty deep.

mike_lawyer

Supporting Member
I am pondering this exact same question. I have an Avatar 1x12 cabinet that is about a foot deep. I have some racks that are 14 inches deep, like a Korg SDD-3000. Could I get a rack case that is 12 inches deep and install some feet on it and put it on top of my cabinet? Or would I need a deeper rack case, like one that is 16 inches deep?

rstites

I have 11.5" deep racks on my cabs, without the covers on them. They're plenty deep for any of my effects units and my Rocktron Velocity power amp. They fit perfectly on top of a slant rack and a head sets on them nicely, so long as it's a smaller head.

My QSC power amp is in an 18" deep rack because it's very deep.

mike_lawyer

Supporting Member
I guess it doesn't matter if the rack hangs out the back of the case a few inches? I am just concerned about stability. Thanks.

jb4674

I put an Auralex Gramma V1 and it worked fine. If your cab is a straight cab instead of an angled one, you'll have a larger surface to put a rack on top.

mike_lawyer

Supporting Member
So if I get a 12 inch deep rack case to sit on my 1x12 head, that should be fine with 14 inch deep rack effect units?

jlcogar

Supporting Member
Where you get 11.5 or 12 inch deep racks ? With 6 space or more ? I have a couple skb molded that are some big ugly mothers

jlcogar

Supporting Member
Just ordered one from roadcasesusa.com. Got a 12” deep 6 space In sale for $119 and free shipping. We have some equipment cases by them at work, looked them up and they make all kinds of rack cases. Hoping this ones as well built as the stuff we have