Silly velcro pedalboard question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jerseydrew, Mar 8, 2006.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Ok, this may be silly, but I really would like some opinions. I just received my new Pedalboard from NYC pedalboards and it looks real nice. I'm very satisfied so far.

My question is, how do you apply the velco to the bottom of the pedals? I realize that you just stick it on, but do you use 1 strip or 2? Vertical or horizontal? And very important, what you do do about the little rubber feet? I have a couple of Xotic pedals and I'm assuming I have to take off the rubber feet.

Perhaps some pics of the bottom of your pedals???

Of course I realize it's just a matter of preference and that there is no real "wrong" way. I'm just curious on what the majority of the people do.

thanks in advance

2. tocs100

tocs100 Member

I 2nd the motion. Pedal-pics of pedal bottoms is a novel and worthy idea. :moon For instance, one thread warned that a lot of velcro actually makes a less secure connection....

3. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

I don't have pics, but I usually put about 4, 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch wide strips, cut the length for the side (I put them on the sides, none in the middle). If you have really good carpet, they should hold just fine.

I have a Pedal Pad AXS board and my heaviest pedal is a Diamond ML . That sucker hasn't moved since I put it on.

BTW - some pedals (RC Booster) have little feet on them. You can pop them off with a flathead to make mounting easier.

Edit - here, I made some pics for you :) (all I can say is this config works for me just fine)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jeak

jeak Member

You'll have to take the feet off. I've tried several ways of applying velcro, and they all pretty much stink unless you use the industrial-strenth stuff. Even then, it's bound to come off eventually, especially if you rearrange your pedals regularly. My board is pretty much set for now, so I plan to remove all velcro soon and mount the pedals with screws going up through the board and into two of each pedal's four backplate holes.

5. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I don't like to gunk up my Boss & Ibanez pedals. Check out my post at Bossarea.com
    [​IMG]

6. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Paul, what the heck it that base?

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Thanks guys. I never thought about cutting pieces of velcro and putting it around the diameter. Anybody else???

8. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

9. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Where do you guys get Velcro??

10. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

My Pedal Pad board came with a good ammount of velcro, but you can get it from Home Depot. Make sure to get the "industrial" strength stuff.

11. dbx

dbx Member

In addition to removing those little rubber pads...make sure you wipe off the underside of your pedals with some rubbing alcohol or naptha to remove any residues...this will help the velcro stay on longer...and a point of caution on the Industrial Strength version, a little goes a long way, a longer strip or fully covering the bottom will make it very difficult to remove...for heavier or less moved pieces then this would be OK...have fun!

:BEER

12. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

13. doctorx

doctorx Member

I went to a place here in Atlanta that sells display merchandise and bought a couple of square yards of Veltex fabric and a 4 inch wide strip of industrial strength velcro hook material. That was enough for several pedalboards and god-knows-how many pedals.

That industrial strength hook material is strong as hell, you could attach the heat tiles to the space shuttle and they wouldn't fall off. The adhesive backing can come off though, on a few pedals I have used epoxy to boost the sticking power.

Do a google on "veltex fabric" and you'll see what I mean.