• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Silveface Bandmaster Reverb

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
Im not sure I'd put $4-500 into an amp I haven't heard or haven't been looking for.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
Amp has been repaired and installed the bigger transformer. Working good. Sounds great.
Nice!
Don’t be afraid of plugging into the off channel and the 2 inputs!
what speaker cab are you using?
(I run mine through a quad of greenbacks )

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
The key with amps like this is the speakers. Most players back in the day played them through lame cabs and speakers so they wrongly think the amps are lame. Get something like an avatar vintage cabinet (the big 2x12 closed back) and some good speakers like creamback h75s. (Or any good heavy magnet speaker). Then add an overdrive pedal that adds a little compression like a tube screamer, fulldrive II, Bogner red, plexi in a box etc. that rig will sound about as good as anything out there.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't had much time to experiment.

My go to speaker has been an old Celestion G12 H (although its 16 ohms and the transformer is 4)
I also own a Creamback 65 and a 90 watt Alnico Cream. Both 8 ohm

Drives I have a few. I tried my trusty original gen 1 OCD but a Greer Lightspeed seemed to work better. I need to experiment with stacking drives because the Greer adds a nice light crunch but I find it shy of lead guitar sustain.

Now if I only had a need for this amp. Its big, loud and heavy. Oh how I miss those days.

Attachments

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I used to run eminence ga-sc64s with the bmr when I had it and they sounded great. I made a new back for the small bandmaster 212 cab that was opened back. To me I prefer fenders through opened back cabs.

eoengineer

Silver Supporting Member
Thats a really cool amp. I'd def get that up and running. Throw a PPIV master volume on it and call it a day.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Do the "69's" in those codes represent the year?

My repair guy recommended making a VibroVerb clone out of it with a repro cabinet and 15" spkr.( I'll be honest I have no experience with VibroVerbs)

He said if I don't like it at least it will be a cool amp and more desirable if I sell it.
This is pretty much the whole reason I'm looking for a reasonably priced, NMV Bandmaster Reverb head

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Bandmaster reverbs are a great value. A better cab and speaker is a good one. Putting Celestion mid focused speakers with it is a matter of taste. Imho, it will no longer sound like a Fender... it’ll be a sort Of Marshall, but not get you there.

WGS, Jupiter, fat jimmy... they have formulated speakers similar to old Jensen’s and others that will give you a better Fender sound. Of course alnico JBL’s are the real deal imho. If you’ve got the bucks, tone tubbies can really bring the amp to life.

Trending Topics