Silver Face Fender Vibro Champ Value?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leond, Sep 29, 2006.

1. leond

leond Supporting Member

I recently traded for a silver face Fender Vibro Champ amp with the hope of using it to learn about amps and eventually rebuild it. Well, it's looking like that'll never happen so I'm looking to sell it.

The problem is that I don't know what it's worth. Do I have the VW Beetle of amps (29 gazillion made) or is this an uber rare, holy grail? I'm guessing somewhere in between (probably closer to the Beetle).

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable selling price would be?

Thanks,
    LeonD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

They made tons of these. At one time (about 1976) every household in America with a teenager had one of these amps.

Go to ebay and do a search of completed auctions and you will see quite a few.

I'd guess around $300.

3. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Do you have the upper back panel? I may be interested in buying this from you if you decide to sell. khager@lifecentered.com

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I think that's a '68 or '69 model, it's a rarity actually. Should bring a pretty penny...probably around $400-$500 if it is indeed that old!

5. opdev

opdev Member

It looks like a $400+ ish amp because of the drip edge.

6. Darth Tater

1976 models did not have the aluminum piping around the grill and did not say 'Vibro Champ-Amp' on the front. This one is older.

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

check ebay anywhere from 300-500 would be my guess, assumeing it works well. Looks nice, I am sure that you could sell it in the emporium, If i had the money to spend i would be interested.

8. Darth Tater

9. dbx

dbx Member

Try to get a date code off the transformer to help place the date but it should be a '67-'69...looks to be in good shape, low $300 to start....

10. Darth Tater

And I'm just curious...why do people pay so much for these amps? I've had one for years and never figured it was worth anything, then one day I happened to see one go for $300+....then $400+...holy moley!

I'm just wondering why these are so desireable?

11. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

What is wrong with it that it requires a "rebuild"? That would effect the sellling price.

Yeah, they're common....but less common than they used to be. I would hang onto it...they get great tones. You can't buy a new amp for twice the price that has the tones these have, let alone a new amp with P2P wiring, ALL tube (incl. rectification & tremelo), made with solid wood ('68 hadn't gone to plywood yet). Plus it will only continue to appreciate in value...what you might get $200-400 for today will get much more in a few years. I personally think they are jewels...classic Fender sparkle and swirl in an easy to carry package.

12. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I paid about $275 for a '68 VC in similar condition about a year ago (I think the drip-edge on yours does indeed place it in the 68-69 time frame). That price was a bit more than I'd seen some go for at the time, but I've seen some go for more. I haven't kept track of prices much lately, but, yeah, I'd agree that $300-$400 is about the range.

Mine didn't have either of the back panels (you can order 'em from Mojotone), and had a Jensen replacement speaker. Having the original speaker might make it more valuable to some collectors, but tone-wise I think a lot of people refer to replace the original.

I really like mine--very nice tones, great tremolo sound, and amps just don't get easier to carry than that. Loud enough for some (quiet) rehearsal settings too.

13. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

The black vertical lines on the faceplate indicate that it's a '68 model, which was the transition year from blackface to silverface amps. I have a '69 Champ (shown below) with the drip edge but no black vertical lines. They stopped the drip edge trim starting in '70.

[​IMG]

14. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Champs and deluxes didn't get "new" electronics, right? Same as blackface inside? Heard that somewhere, not sure if it's true.

15. erksin

erksin Member

That's definitely a '68 - and yes, it's identical to the Blackface amps. I would think you could easily get $600 for it if it's in good condition electronically...

16. leond

leond Supporting Member

Thanks for the help guys. :AOK

The only issue with the amp is that the plug on the power cord is cracked. That would need to be replaced before plugging it in. Other than that, it worked fine when I last played it about two years ago.

I do have the upper back panel; I took it off for the pics.

It is a nice sounding, portable amp. I'm just playing less guitar these days (I'm primarily a bass player) and when I do play guitar, I've been using a Yamaha Stomp into my bass amp.

I know if I sell it, I'll fart out the money (GAS is a terrible thing. :crazy) so I may wait till I actually need something.

Thanks again,
    LeonD

17. mbratch

mbratch Member

Probably 400 +/-50 :)

If your desire is to sell it but you can wait, it will likely go up at least a little in value. VibroChamps have been seeing increasing action lately.

18. cameron

cameron Member

True of the smaller amps in general. The CBS guys started making changes to the circuits in the blackface era - the Bassman was the first to get the treatment. Then in the early silverface era the other larger amps started to get the power section modifications (prefigured in the AB165 Bassman) which are the main changes relative to the blackface period.

They didn't really change the circuits of the smaller (<40 watts) amps until they started adding the pull-boost feature.

They did, however skimp on some components, and cabinet construction, and bought the cheapest speakers they could buy.

19. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Sell a Fender Champ!?! Perish the thought. Never!

Actually IIRC John Philips has some interesting thing to say about the design.I've had one since the mid 70s.Only had to replace the 6V6 once.