Silver face vs black face... Same chassis size?

Strat_lover

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a silverface fender twin reverb ('71, NMV version). I got it with the intention of using it as a recording amp when that fender thing is needed, but it's inspired me so deeply that I want to gig with it... But I'm not lifting that 2x12 combo.

Mojotone markets a "blackface twin reverb head cabinet" here:

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/...in-Reverb-Style-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Cabinet

Would this work for my silverface chassis? I can't see anywhere online saying they are different sizes from blackface to silverface... But mojotone specifying blackface on the product has me worried.

Any first hand experience here?

Thanks in advance!

zenas

When I saw this Saturday I went and measured a 65 BFTR and a 77 SFTR. Looked the same to me.
But it was Saturday night after a few beers. :)

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
Strat Lover, if I wanted to get into a project like that, I would consider this. The original Dual Showman head cabs were taller than most people build a "TR Head Ca" these days. Imho and ime, there is a concern with the proximity of the reverb tank and the components on the chassis. Another side benefit of building a vintage type Dual Showman Reverb head is that one can have a baffle for 2 x 8" speakers built. Yes, there are OEM DSR amps with 8" cutouts for speakers....and some had speakers in the head. think off it as having a practice amp or a small gig amp without carrying any speaker cab around.
Just a suggestion....J.D. Newell will know exactly how to build that...in fact, he sometimes has DSR heads sitting around. Surprisingly, there was a time when people were having him build TR cabs into which they were putting their DSR chassi!?!?! I got one from him one time some years back in trade for the use of my booth at a show in Arlington....I was sold out by Saturday at 1 P.M. NO affiliation...just know him and his work. He builds to vintage Fender quality.

http://www.newellamps.com/

gkoelling

I've checked there, and it looks like they only give cabinet dimension sizes... I guess when I'm ready to buy I will just contact mojo and make sure.
The cabinets are made to fit the chassis & vice versa. If the cab dimensions are the same the chassis should be the same. If they weren't Mojo would offer choices.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I had a '74 Princeton Reverb and a '66 Princeton NR and the cabinet dimensions were the same. That's all I got.

swiveltung

I've checked there, and it looks like they only give cabinet dimension sizes... I guess when I'm ready to buy I will just contact mojo and make sure.
The Field guide has some errors. be careful. I believe MOST Twins are the same but there are some oddballs that are different. Does yours have a mid control on the normal channel? Also, many Pro Reverb cabs will work.
On the field guide, subtract 1.5 inches for inside dimensions.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Strat Lover, if I wanted to get into a project like that, I would consider this. The original Dual Showman head cabs were taller than most people build a "TR Head Ca" these days. Imho and ime, there is a concern with the proximity of the reverb tank and the components on the chassis. Another side benefit of building a vintage type Dual Showman Reverb head is that one can have a baffle for 2 x 8" speakers built. Yes, there are OEM DSR amps with 8" cutouts for speakers....and some had speakers in the head. think off it as having a practice amp or a small gig amp without carrying any speaker cab around.
Just a suggestion....J.D. Newell will know exactly how to build that...in fact, he sometimes has DSR heads sitting around. Surprisingly, there was a time when people were having him build TR cabs into which they were putting their DSR chassi!?!?! I got one from him one time some years back in trade for the use of my booth at a show in Arlington....I was sold out by Saturday at 1 P.M. NO affiliation...just know him and his work. He builds to vintage Fender quality.

http://www.newellamps.com/
A year or two ago I ordered a JD Newell Super Reverb cabinet and couldn't be more thrilled. Great quality, fair pricing and fast turnaround!

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a silverface fender twin reverb ('71, NMV version). I got it with the intention of using it as a recording amp when that fender thing is needed, but it's inspired me so deeply that I want to gig with it... But I'm not lifting that 2x12 combo.

Mojotone markets a "blackface twin reverb head cabinet" here:

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/...in-Reverb-Style-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Cabinet

Would this work for my silverface chassis? I can't see anywhere online saying they are different sizes from blackface to silverface... But mojotone specifying blackface on the product has me worried.

Any first hand experience here?

Thanks in advance!
Ask the guys like JD Newell and Larry Rodgers who are in the repro cab business. They do this stuff all day long and would have the answers.

Trending Topics