Silver Jubilee mods & upgrades

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JZG, Jul 29, 2006.

1. JZG

JZG Member

I just dropped off my Silver Jubilee for a checkup. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions of modifications or upgrades that could further enhance this amps great tone.

2. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Don't mod it. Just get some good chinese preamp tubes which were stock as I find they work best with mine or you can experiment with NOS Mullards or Telefunken. So far as power amp tubes, again you should to go stock with Siemens or unlabelled RFT german plant (same as siemens) replacements. With this stock configuration I am able to get the nice fat sustaining lead tones that Slash had on Appetite. You could try a 12AY7 in V1 for less gain and more headroom which really softens the amp and makes it a bit more vintage for blues. My best suggestion is if you have a 4 x 12 get 2 Greenbacks and 2 G12H anniversary or one of each if a 2 x12 configuration. These, by far, are the best with my Jubilee head and the G12H sensitivity really make the 50 watts sound punchy and fatter like 100 watts due to the increased sensitivity, the greenback just sit back with some added warmth.

3. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i have a jubilee that has svet winged C 6550's in it and for me that hits the spot for my style,the EL34 jubilee's i have rarely get used or they are a slave amp for my 6550 jube...
    also i have EH12AX7's in it and i like them totaly and they are inexpensive..

4. djem

djem Member

I also have a SJ.

DO NOT MOD THE AMP !! :nono

Probably one of the last collectable near-vintage amps Marshall has produced.

As the other posts mentioned, play around with tube selections, but DO NOT MOD THIS AMP !! :nono

5. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

What type of music are you playing with all that headroom from the 6550s? The Jubilee plate voltage is only 450-460 v. 6550s can handle 500v or more so isn't the tone a bit cold? I guess the question is how does it sound? What type of speakers are you running?

6. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

History will prove the Silver Jubilee to be a very collectible piece....please, no irreversible mods....do your part to preserve history

7. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i like the sound of those 6550's....i found the EL34's tooo midrange beam sound,i like to add more midrange to the 6550's with the mid control.
    the sound has more low end control,rounder not flubby when pushed,highs are crisper/tighter......i can use my volume control to control clean and dirt FAR better than with a EL34.
    I am using a standard GT75 loaded marshall that i didnt care too much for with the EL34's but with the largertubes it matches just perfect(all fine tuning for me) just a great great combination.
    for my taste i find a el34 better with a NON master amplifier than a higain master volume....
    i play 2 gigs with it,one is a classic rock outfit and they other is a metal outfit(not nu metal)very nuetral sound marshalls have,they fit in with what ever music,soft rock to super metal,it all depends on your style and it will deliver.

8. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

+ 1. Although the jubes can be quirky, when dialed in right (which you may wind up constantly doing in order to adjust your ears properly to the diode preamp especially after playing any other amp) and played on the right day when the planets and moons are aligned it is right up there with some of the best tones recorded. If Slash didn't get the tone he got out of his then it might have been completely overshadowed and overlooked by the forthcoming hideous and newly released JCM 900.

9. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Dude - what he said.
    I still have mine; it's in stupid-clean condition (plastic still on the metal plates) and she shall not be "adulterated"....

jb

10. JZG

JZG Member

Point taken! I didn't have any plans to make wholesale changes to the amp. I was thinking along the line of subtle upgrades, like Sozo caps or FREDS. Like Jube, I currently have a NOS Mullard in V1, with Chinese tubes in V2 and V3. For power tubes, it's loaded with Boogie-labled 6CA7's. That may change if it's in need of new tubes. I didn't think of the 6550's. Got me thinking about an 82 JCM800 2 x12 that I used to have that was loaded with 6550's. That might have been the best sounding amp I've ever owned.

11. Ironman

Ironman Member

There is a reason the Jubilee is considered by many owners to be the best MV Marshall ever. I wouldn't mess with that. To echo the other guys, experiment with tubes/cabs/speakers, they can make a world of difference sometimes.

I dial in my 2555 for strictly the fattest and ballsiest classic/hard rock tones it can produce. The tubes that have helped the amp achieve this the best were Ei gold 12ax7's and Ruby/Shuguang EL34BSTR's. Some of the other tubes I've tried sounded nice but this combo makes my Jubilee the beefiest beasty. Also, I'm using it in a wet/dry setup with Wizard speakers, which is another step in getting a huge wall of sound for me. :AOK

12. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I run EHs all the way through the amp, does the job just right for me.

13. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

What model was the combo?

14. JZG

JZG Member

I don't recall the exact model number. I owned the amp somewhere around 96 or 97. It was a 2 x 12, with the aforementioned 6550's, and a pair of 65 watt Rola Celestion speakers. Greenbacks if I recall. For me, that was just the blues/rock tone. I used to run a RI Tube Screamer in front of it for leads. I ended up selling it because you had to turn it up pretty loud to getting going, which was too loud for most playing situations, and it was a real heavy beast. I still remember it pretty fondly, even though I only owned it for a short time.