Silver Kiss --> Hyperpak? Maybe another OD then?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nb_fan, Feb 2, 2008.

1. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

I just got a Catalinbread Hyperpak not too long ago and I love it. It sounds great through my DRRI, a really visceral OD that sounds huge at the same time, definitely in the vicinity of the Live at Leeds tone (with an SG with classic 57's pups). With the strat, it sounds good too, but my only complaint is that when you start to turn up the gain, it seems the treble is more emphasized - not sure if it's just me.

Anyways, I want thinking of continuing my envoy into the pedal world by getting a Silver Kiss. The very responsive EQ is something that attracts me and the lower gain structure of the SK is something I'm looking for. However, I don't want to buy another Hyperpak. It's a little hard to tell from the sound clips and videos, but to me, the Hyperpak's gain sounds very similar to the SK's, seems like the Hyperpak continues from somewhere in the middle of the SK gain range?

Anyone have both and care to chime in with their opinions?

Despite the risk of making this thread too complex, I'm going to ask another question: If i'm looking for a nice, SLIGHTLY compressed low gain OD (think TS, but without the exagerrated midhump, the loss of lows, and the muddiness that comes with too much compression) and with a good grasp of EQ control.. AND... (drum roll)... the price range of the Silver Kiss.. what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance

2. erksin

erksin Member

The HP and SK aren't voiced at all alike - the HP brings on some hefty low end when you crank up the gain - way more aggressive sounding than the SK.

IMO the SK is really quite Voxy - slighly compressed with that airy top end.

I've never tried stacking them, I guess I should someday!

As far as another suggestion goes - I'd have to say a Tim/Timmy.

3. claffman

claffman Member

They are two different animals. No real comparison. The SK is a bright lower gain pedal with awesome adjustability. It loves my Mesa MKIIb.
    I have the single knob HP. It's dirty boost. It does bump up the low end. (It's pretty noisy too.--I'm willing to bet the two knober is much more user friendly.)

4. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

Hmm... I just tried my HP again: Strat SSS --> Fender DRRI ... and I'm not hearing and increase in the bass with an increase with the gain ... sounds like more treble actually. However, when i crank up the volume on the HP, I get a perceived bottom end emphasis...but my amp on its own gets a little more of a bass thump when i crank it up.. so im not sure if its the pedal's doing.

Do you both get the increased bass even at lower volume settings on the pedal? (i have the two knob HP btw)

5. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Hey there nb_fan,

I just got my Silver Kiss in the mail and gave it a quick run-through last night. It is a very open and transparent low to med gain OD. I will run it with my Barber Tone Press for smooth and light compression when needed. I like it without just fine. I was attracted to the pedal specifically for its 3-band EQ which is excellent. This pedal is very quiet up to noon on the gain, even with single coils. The noise and loss of bass was my frustration with the Direct Drive - also a great pedal but not enough lows even with the internal trim maxed out.

Now my pickups in SC mode sound much fuller and fatter in the neck and bridge positions. Before, I was only enjoying the 2nd and 4th SC positions with the Direct Drive. With the gain off it is a great clean boost with EQ. I will use it with the gain at noon at the most as I only like a little grit and crunch but this pedal has great chunk if you dime the gain and scoop the mids. :dude:dude:dude

Anyway, it is very well built and makes me want to try Nic's other pedals down the road. Great looking pedals too!!

6. erksin

erksin Member

I do, but I don't play a Strat usually.

Even with the gain and volume at noon there's a pretty stout bass response - not tubby, but definitely full.