Silver plate JJ 12ax7 (ecc83S)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stompguy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. stompguy

stompguy Member

I was working on a JVM the other day, and in the V1 position there was a JJ ECC83s with silver plates much like the famed chinese silver specials.

The tube was labeled Marshall vlve00067, which I found out to be a low noise low microphonic graded tube.

The tube was very quiet, with literally zero microphonics when tapped. It seemed to sound good in this amp, I know there have been some issues with noise/feedback with these amps. I am wondering if marshall got JJ to do a special run of these tubes for the JVM line as I have not seen them in other newer marshalls I have worked on.

Any body have any info on these??

2. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

3. stompguy

stompguy Member

Sorry the amp has gone back to the customer, the internals were exactly the same as a standard JJ ECC83S, but the plates were a silver color, looked like nickel type material.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I've never seen a tube that fits that description. Do you mean the frame-grid JJECC83S - the one that's modeled after the Tesla E83CC, which is modeled after the Telefunken ECC803S? None of those produced a nickel-plate version of that tube, as far as I know.

- Thom