Silver Sky Warranty coverage? Unexpected wear????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CV-H, Aug 22, 2018.

1. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

I had a chance to see Gallagher's Strat close up when it was in luthier Chris Eccleshall's shop for servicing in the early '70s. The bridge was a solid hunk of rust.

jetydosa likes this.
  2. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

I don't think the warranty is gonna cover your 3 missing months. You might want to seek rehab for that.

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

lots of PRS protectionists in this thread

To the OP:
    call PRS, don't bother with TGP
    I have a Fender Strat that's been gigged regularly (nightly sometimes) since 1965
    the bridge is dirty and dull looking but isn't rusting
    and the numbers on the knobs are fine

If this was a Gibson guitar, this thread would be 100 pages already

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

While sweat will oxidize some parts, having that happen within 4 months (even with a heavy sweating) seems to be excessive. If the part was a quality part I would feel it would be much longer before having issues. And the fact that the OP has other guitars that don't have bad oxidization suggests that maybe something is up.

DCross, ckfoxtrot and gazzy_burns like this.
  5. Ps28

Ps28 Member

wow, I bet. He sweat through his pickups especially the bridge pickup. I read it had to be replaced fairly regularly with a DiMarzio.

6. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

7. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Can't you guys tell this is a troll thread? I mean, who gigs a PRS, really? They're trophies, wall ornaments, that don't actually leave the house. This here is proof, see, gig it once and the whole thing falls apart.

j/k

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    MisterBoh, gerg6, Johnny21 and 2 others like this.
  8. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Actually, they may not. In my experience with replacing parts on my PRS, the entire guitar needed to go back to the factory for the replacements. They seem to want to carefully control the parts floating around the market.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  9. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Or on the wall of your office. (Ducks).

10. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

I’m curious as to what type of bridge is on the SS. Is it the Core model PRS bridge, or do they use the import / budget bridge on it? Even though my CE is considered Core, it still uses the import bridge.

Maybe the import bridges aren’t as solid as the domestic ones?

11. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

[​IMG]

Today is August 22 for those keeping score.

12. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

It's different from any other PRS bridge. It's more like a vintage Fender 6 screw bridge, not the typical PRS/Mann type bridge. I'm not exactly sure where the bridge on the Silver Sky is made, but I'd be surprised if it's not imported.

Stev0Griffin likes this.
  13. TheThirdChild

TheThirdChild Member

In what universe is it "normal wear" for a bridge to start rusting in 4 months?

I have acidic sweat which eats into metal stuff like buttons, belt buckles, and guitar strings. I have played thousands of hours, some very sweaty, on my 2008 SG. There is rust on the pickguard screws (which is fine because they're cheap and easy to replace) but zero rust on the bridge. Also a 2000 dollar guitar having knobs that lose their markings in under a year? That **** should be injected through the knob. My 60 dollar PS4 controller has the button symbols injected from top to bottom so they can't wear off. It costs very little to do that compared to all the woodwork and man hours involved in making a good guitar. There's no excuse.

There's definitely the chance this is a troll thread, but I'm honestly more bothered that TGP is defending garbage quality.

14. OldN'inTheWay

OldN'inTheWay Member

"I had a chance to see Gallagher's Strat close up when it was in luthier Chris Eccleshall's shop for servicing in the early '70s. The bridge was a solid hunk of rust."

I believe Gallagher drank alcohol excessively, which can do some pretty harmful things to your body chemistry.

15. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The cost of plating has skyrocketed. I needed a part chromed for my car and was shocked at the prices various vendors quoted. Thanks the EPA and regulations. Fender's amps now have painted black panels and not chrome due to cost and RoHs regulations. Plating is ugly business. I don't doubt the plating today isn't what it was years ago.

My local chrome guy recently sold his shop. I asked why and he said "I can't spit on the sidewalk without filling in EPA paperwork".

Stev0Griffin likes this.
  16. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i figured the bridge would be stainless steel. petillo uses stainles steel on all of my guitars (and springsteen's too) for this very sweaty reason. even the screws on my pickguard.

17. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Seriously? No one has asked to see pics yet?

:worthless

18. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

No, a guitar shouldn't wear that quickly, and the OP's question is reasonable. He was trying to find out if others are seeing corrosion issues. Yes, some players have corrosive sweat, and asking about that is reasonable, too. Have the OP's other guitars corroded similarly? I find it laughable that many posters think that all wear is OK and that durability is not an issue. Sure, it can't be covered under warranty, but wanting to know if something holds up well or not is a smart question, particularly for those of us who actually play our guitars a lot to make, you know, uh, music for people...

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  19. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Not sure of the cost difference between plating steel and using stainless. It IS much harder to machine and stamp.

20. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

good point. you know david, though. he just does things RIGHT.