Silver Sky Warranty coverage? Unexpected wear????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CV-H, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

OP needs to show us some pics of the rust.

David B likes this.
  2. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

Ha, yea. Try posting something on the PRS forums. The rabid followers will crucify. It's quite nutty.

3. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

The OP posted in the Honeymoon Silver Sky thread and didn’t get any sympathy or response. So he creates his own thread; he can at least post some pics of the rust or embedded dirt or whatever it is.

Also, does anyone know what type of steel Fender used in the 60’s, what they use now and what PRS uses for the bent steel saddles? Maybe PRS uses more pure steel/more iron in the steel and it might rust more given salty sweat than mystery cheap steel that had other things/alloys mixed in. The PRS SS bride looks super high quality and well thought out.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  4. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I'm sure PRS will replace the parts. Not really a big deal.

I've never met a person in real life like all the people on TGP who have sweat that's like the aliens' blood in the Alien movies, that dissolves bridges and strings like they are nothing. I hope I never do :eek:

5. Speedbump61

Speedbump61 Member

Sell your services for quick and natural relicing of guitars. That way you always get to play new and different guitars, and get paid to do it. Everyone is happy

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

7. musicman1

musicman1 Member

A bass player buddy has the most unbelievably acidic sweat that not only has he virtually rotted out every piece of metal on a MM Stringray bass but his sweat got under the pickguard and caused an electronics failure on the gig one night. His backup is in only slightly better shape...Ive only ever managed to cause brass Tele saddles to tarnish but brass usually does that on its own anyway

standard24 likes this.
  8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Nickel plated hardware or chrome plated hardware? They behave much differently you know. If your baseline is chrome plate, nickel plate will tarnish/oxidize much more quickly. Does the OP know the difference between rust and oxidation? Rust is what non-stainless ferrous metals do. I believe the PRS imported bridges have been zinc? No rust there. I suspect what is happening is a misunderstanding of the difference between nickel and chrome plate. And a debatable use of the term rust. After all the math was problematic too.

Pretty sure if there was evidence that parts were improperly plated PRS will take an interest. Otherwise, discoloration of plating? No. As for knobs? No idea what is up there.

hunter

9. DGrig

DGrig Member

I have a friend who does that! He plays one session on new strings and if the strings are not wiped down immediately, they are rusty the very next time the guitar is picked up. As for this thread, unless there are pictures this is all hen talk. Personal biases throw out witout any evidence is just normal primate behavior. We pick fleas off each other, it calms us down. I hope some pictures show up soon because I hate to put my energy towards something that isn't real.

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I played with a guy who had the Acid Sweat. Not only was his sweat extremely acidic, he sweated early and often. Strings were corroded in a couple of days, max.

11. musicman1

musicman1 Member

When PRS or any company asks about wear and tear its almost never covered unless they are aware of a specific problem that occurred in the manufacturing process. For example, EB MM has issues with the black chrome powder coat on Majesty gtrs. They know that due to Cali emission issues the parts cant be coated perfectly so that the finish doesn't wear off often within hours of use. They do replace the trem covers initially but after the first one you have to buy additional replacement parts.

DGrig likes this.
  12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Well, PRS knobs are $13 each...

13. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

I’m not a steel/plating expert. The saddles look like raw steel with no plating; just like vintage fenders. I have notice some modern Fenders or copies use plated steel saddle.

14. Bodeanicus

Bodeanicus Member

Or Rory Gallagher's.

T92780 likes this.
  15. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

I would call PRS and demand they address this issue immediately as well as guarantee all current owners get the same treatment, as well as fixing the problem so future owners will be so embarrassed with rusty bridges, numbers rubbing off of knobs and the heartbreak of psoriasis. They have some nerve!

I would contact someone who does Cerakote or some type of DLC and have them provide a solution. And bill PRS.

wornoutjunkie and Fishyfishfish like this.
  16. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

This approach is 100% guaranteed to not get you what you want.

17. Bodeanicus

Bodeanicus Member

It's not acceptable, especially for the obscene prices Smith charges.

roswell and TheThirdChild like this.
  18. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I think vintage Fender saddles were nickel plated. Unplated mild steel saddles will rust quickly.

hunter

19. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

What is your bridge made out of? What kind of plating does it have? Gibson uses a lot of zinc alloy bridges. Doesn't rust. Gibson uses a lot of chrome plated parts on some lines. Doesn't tarnish.

hunter

20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Not really. Just sarcastic TGPers looking to use their skills, I don't think the maker matters in this one.