Silver Sky Warranty coverage? Unexpected wear????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CV-H, Aug 22, 2018.

1. JS-29

JS-29 Member

I agree with what many have stated. Are there pics?

2. TheThirdChild

TheThirdChild Member

Zamak, coated in chrome. It was the cheap Special Faded model. I find it odd PRS would use anything that would rust faster than my budget guitar.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Some prefer the patina that comes with nickel plate. And it is vintage and all. That is what is on the ultra high end Gibsons. My R7 covers, bridge and tailpiece looked pretty bad after a few weeks. Bad if shiny clean was the desired goal. I could polish em with a nickel polish but eventually that wears away the nickel plating which can start to look even worse. But the zinc alloy parts, while they will corrode, will not rust.

hunter

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I own 6 expensive (to me) guitars. 3 PRS, and 3 G&L. All have been played a lot, gigged and sweated on for years. In general, the PRS show much more wear( worn down plating on the bridge, paint chips, dull finish and rash) while the G&L looks closer to new after a good wipedown. I assume this is due to different choices of metal alloys and paint techniques.

I love all these guitars and it doesn't bother me, just making an observation....

5. standard24

standard24 Member

Whether they fix it for you, or not, I'd suggest that you dismantle the guitar and apply high quality car wax to all surfaces (except pickups).

Car wax protects a car out in the weather for 6 months. It should last at least a couple of years on your guitar.

Also, wash your hands with dish washing soap. It cuts oils and sweat pretty well. If you sweat a lot, wash them between sets and keep a clean cotton cloth on your amp.

Brian Setzer is said to wash his hands ten times before playing his cherished guitars.

6. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

The chrome plating on my 94 ASAT is finally giving up the ghost. Worn off in places and pitting every where else. This may be hard to take apart. Gotta love these macro pics. It doesn't look quite this bad until you get real close. This guitar has been around the block. And continues to go. But yeah, decent chrome is much more durable than nickel. Just like poly and lacquer...

hunter

[​IMG]

7. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Very cool pic! My oldest G&L is a 2001 Legacy which has some pitting but not too bad, and a bit of rust on screws and pickups. ASAT classic already has brass saddles so it doesn't show any wear. I doubt my 2006 ASAT special will look like yours in another 10 years.

One thing I like about the PRS is how the bridge plating wears very smoothly revealing the brass underneath.

8. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Google the differences between Chrome, which all the guitars above use, and Nickel, which PRS use.

Nickel oxidises and dulls very quickly. It happens in all PRS guitars.

I use Blue Magic to polish the metal up, just be careful not to get it on the body as it’s got Silicon in.

9. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

bundtcakehorn likes this.
  10. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

:dunno I'm sure the world will keep turning without affordable chromed vanity items. Ever heard someone with mesothelioma complain about the cost of asbestos abatement?

11. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

What? No cure for the heartbreak of psoriasis? The humanity!

I was serious about the Cerakote or other DLC solution. That would 100% work.

12. Peteyforto

Peteyforto Member

Have you tried Mara's in Newark?

13. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Have you tried craigslist?

14. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

Well, we’ve already established that it is older than was claimed. Is it too far of a leap to think that maaaaybe something else other than just sweat may be going on here?

I left a Schecter in my car once after a gig. It was in perfect condition at the time. I woke up that morning and the hardware looked 30 years old. Corrosion can happen in a myriad of cases. I’m not suggesting that the OP made the same stupid mistake I did, nor that he is trying to hustle anyone. Just that there may be something else going on here.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  15. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

If PRS was to provide warranty, what happens in 2-4 months (less than 1-year from purchase), do they replace again?

PS. Someone on Mayer forum noted that knobs on his PRS SS felt cheaper than what Fender uses, so OP issue might become a trend for others down the road with like corrosive sweat.

16. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I wonder if Paul will step down because of this?
    :omg

Nathan Carrille likes this.
  17. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

That’s the guy. My understanding is Lou Mara sold the business. I tried Advanced in Nashville and another guy in Pennsylvania. Obnoxiously expensive.

I may pay to have them stripped and then just powder coat them.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  18. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I actually put F11 ceramic car coating on a few of my guitars and they look amazing !!

standard24 likes this.
  19. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I think they pulled that up from the Titanic.