Silver Sky Warranty coverage? Unexpected wear????

J.Eric B

Did you try actually contacting PRS? Also you should really post pics for something like this assuming it's not just a troll thread
Maybe he’s not a paying member. If you’re not a paying member it is a pia to post pics.
To the OP, while I’ve heard everyone rave about their (PRS’) product QC.
I don’t care how hard you gig, a $2200 Strat shouldn’t be having these issues. I’ve a MIM Strat that was my main gigging guitar for 7 or 8 years, and the numbers are still on the knobs, and there’s no oxidation on the pole pieces or bridge. That guitar was $699. I also wipe down my guitars with a micro fiber towel after I play them, every time. Especially if I’m sweating.
I’d try to flip it now, while there’s still a lot of people having a hard time getting a new one. Better for this to happen now, before it loses most of it’s value.

Fuchsaudio

PS. Someone on Mayer forum noted that knobs on his PRS SS felt cheaper than what Fender uses, so OP issue might become a trend for others down the road with like corrosive sweat.
FWIW: I owned a real '58 Hardtail Strat (never should have sold it), but I can say the numbers were still on the knobs as they are on my G&L at 20 years....for a guitar where "we re-engineered everything"..seems they missed the boat on a few things...

J.Eric B

I'll up your prediction, 13 at least more likely 17...

As for the guitar, the bridge components aren't the normal Mil-Con PRS bridges that are built like a tank; your guitar is a Strat and those saddles are gonna wear. You sweat, they age, lots of other options out there for saddles made of more durable metals (less rust prone) or non-metal to begin with; but your tone will be affected.

I had this happen with an early relic Custom Shop Strat, a couple of months of hard play and the saddles started to oxidize and it became a true relic. My other modern bridge Custom Shop looked new the day I sold it 15 years later.

As for the numbers on the knobs, 4 months of gigging and they're starting to loose their paint. Perhaps that's a bit early but it's going to happen with constant use and there's an easy and cheap fix...

How does the guitar SOUND?
You’re supposed to get what you pay for, a high quality instrument shouldn’t be having issues like this 4 mos in.
They could’ve used better metal for the bridge. They could have used better paint in the knobs.
The guitar your using as a reference point is a relic’d Strat? It’s relic’d, a brand new $2200 PRS SS isn’t supposed to be relic’d after 4 mos.
This was a $$ grab for Mayer and PRS, so it doesn’t surprise me.We need yet another Strat like we need another tubescreamer. IMHO

T92780

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW: I owned a real '58 Hardtail Strat (never should have sold it), but I can say the numbers were still on the knobs as they are on my G&L at 20 years....for a guitar where "we re-engineered everything"..seems they missed the boat on a few things...
Yes, PRS is not as perfect as their following preaches.

Drew816

You’re supposed to get what you pay for, a high quality instrument shouldn’t be having issues like this 4 mos in.
They could’ve used better metal for the bridge. They could have used better paint in the knobs.
The guitar your using as a reference point is a relic’d Strat? It’s relic’d, a brand new $2200 PRS SS isn’t supposed to be relic’d after 4 mos.
This was a $$ grab for Mayer and PRS, so it doesn’t surprise me.We need yet another Strat like we need another tubescreamer. IMHO
Yes, my point of reference was a relic'ed Strat that had a new bridge (not rusted) when I started playing it. Correct. And after many months of playing it started to rust, the metal in the saddles being what they were. It fit that guitar, I didn't care but I was surprised how quickly that guitar and saddles did this versus other Strats I'd owned with what appears to be similar saddles; probably not the best example.

I'm not defending PRS here, John Mayer's dream guitar was a guitar that's been around since 1954 with a cut in the lower horn and different headstock and name as well; ok??!? If the attraction was PRS quality than it appears they've missed the mark, but Strat saddles corroding quickly doesn't surprise me either...

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gold Supporting Member
I had a client many years ago that had highly corrosive sweat. In one month, his guitar hardware looked like mine at 15 years. It was crazy. Turns out he had some body chemistry issues. Poor guy smelled like strong urine every time I met him. He had to change his diet and take some pills. Not sure what they were, but it did help. Maybe the OP needs to visit the doc to find out what's up?

StratStringSlinger

Supporting Member
Yes, PRS is not as perfect as their following preaches.
I’m not saying PRS is perfect; no one is.

But Paul can’t change the law of physics/chemistry. Metal (with iron content) will rust when you apply water and salt. Sure some guitar have chrome plated saddles but that’s not what vintage Fenders or what the Silver Sky is trying to do. They wanted vintage style bent metal saddles. Lot of Strat players believe they have a certain tone.

Last edited:

CV-H

I smell fine guys!!!!! But do sweat excessively at summer gigs , so humid in Canada , Southwestern Ontario/ Where good things grow ;)

CV-H

Ps I love the guitar , best strat I have played . Just wanted to see if this was normal. Not many suhrs in my area so hard to play one

StratStringSlinger

Supporting Member
I smell fine guys!!!!! But do sweat excessively at summer gigs , so humid in Canada , Southwestern Ontario/ Where good things grow ;)
You mean you don’t come onto TGP go get medical advice on what pills to take to change the chemistry of your sweat!? lol

Qmax

I had a Gotoh Floyd that EBMM used back in the 90’s. It had some crap coating on the bridge and mine corroded pretty fast in a humid environment. It was a QC problem that was acknowledged back at some point and I don’t believe it’s an issue anymore. After 20 some odd years I finally used the wire wheel attachment on a dremel and took it off, but it’s forever scared as it ate the chrome plating away. Character!

02Singlecut

well what did they say man?>??
Pound sand and get a tetnus shot! ......but PLEASE call your dealer, if you haven't. With a new model there is always growing pains. The only way PRS is going to hear about and fix these bugs is thru their dealer network. Glad you dig the guitar...I think they're pretty special!

Trending Topics