Silver Sky Warranty coverage? Unexpected wear????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CV-H, Aug 22, 2018.

1. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

Maybe he’s not a paying member. If you’re not a paying member it is a pia to post pics.
    To the OP, while I’ve heard everyone rave about their (PRS’) product QC.
    I don’t care how hard you gig, a $2200 Strat shouldn’t be having these issues. I’ve a MIM Strat that was my main gigging guitar for 7 or 8 years, and the numbers are still on the knobs, and there’s no oxidation on the pole pieces or bridge. That guitar was $699. I also wipe down my guitars with a micro fiber towel after I play them, every time. Especially if I’m sweating.
    I’d try to flip it now, while there’s still a lot of people having a hard time getting a new one. Better for this to happen now, before it loses most of it’s value.

2. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

FWIW: I owned a real '58 Hardtail Strat (never should have sold it), but I can say the numbers were still on the knobs as they are on my G&L at 20 years....for a guitar where "we re-engineered everything"..seems they missed the boat on a few things...

Sardocasm and T92780 like this.
  3. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

You’re supposed to get what you pay for, a high quality instrument shouldn’t be having issues like this 4 mos in.
    They could’ve used better metal for the bridge. They could have used better paint in the knobs.
    The guitar your using as a reference point is a relic’d Strat? It’s relic’d, a brand new $2200 PRS SS isn’t supposed to be relic’d after 4 mos.
    This was a $$ grab for Mayer and PRS, so it doesn’t surprise me.We need yet another Strat like we need another tubescreamer. IMHO

4. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, PRS is not as perfect as their following preaches.

StuartMac likes this.
  5. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

I wish Paul Smith was a member of TGP like John Suhr

LOL can you guys imagine how he would react?

6. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Yes, my point of reference was a relic'ed Strat that had a new bridge (not rusted) when I started playing it. Correct. And after many months of playing it started to rust, the metal in the saddles being what they were. It fit that guitar, I didn't care but I was surprised how quickly that guitar and saddles did this versus other Strats I'd owned with what appears to be similar saddles; probably not the best example.

I'm not defending PRS here, John Mayer's dream guitar was a guitar that's been around since 1954 with a cut in the lower horn and different headstock and name as well; ok??!? If the attraction was PRS quality than it appears they've missed the mark, but Strat saddles corroding quickly doesn't surprise me either...

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Would he get to criticize other manufacturers like some people on here?

ELmiguel likes this.
  8. DGrig

DGrig Member

Did the pictures show up yet?

9. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I had a client many years ago that had highly corrosive sweat. In one month, his guitar hardware looked like mine at 15 years. It was crazy. Turns out he had some body chemistry issues. Poor guy smelled like strong urine every time I met him. He had to change his diet and take some pills. Not sure what they were, but it did help. Maybe the OP needs to visit the doc to find out what's up?

StratStringSlinger likes this.
  10. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

I’m not saying PRS is perfect; no one is.

But Paul can’t change the law of physics/chemistry. Metal (with iron content) will rust when you apply water and salt. Sure some guitar have chrome plated saddles but that’s not what vintage Fenders or what the Silver Sky is trying to do. They wanted vintage style bent metal saddles. Lot of Strat players believe they have a certain tone.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  11. CV-H

CV-H Member

I smell fine guys!!!!! But do sweat excessively at summer gigs , so humid in Canada , Southwestern Ontario/ Where good things grow ;)

12. CV-H

CV-H Member

Ps I love the guitar , best strat I have played . Just wanted to see if this was normal. Not many suhrs in my area so hard to play one

13. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

You mean you don’t come onto TGP go get medical advice on what pills to take to change the chemistry of your sweat!? lol

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Oh yeah of course. Canada. Known for its oppressive heat...

shallbe and CV-H like this.
  15. Qmax

Qmax Member

I had a Gotoh Floyd that EBMM used back in the 90’s. It had some crap coating on the bridge and mine corroded pretty fast in a humid environment. It was a QC problem that was acknowledged back at some point and I don’t believe it’s an issue anymore. After 20 some odd years I finally used the wire wheel attachment on a dremel and took it off, but it’s forever scared as it ate the chrome plating away. Character!

16. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Give up chrome on my Harley? Never!!!!

17. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I have to admit, this news really has me surprised. Someone on TGP actually plays his guitars! At gigs!

CV-H, JS-29 and bobcs71 like this.
  18. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

19. CV-H

CV-H Member

well what did they say man?>??

20. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Pound sand and get a tetnus shot! ......but PLEASE call your dealer, if you haven't. With a new model there is always growing pains. The only way PRS is going to hear about and fix these bugs is thru their dealer network. Glad you dig the guitar...I think they're pretty special!

T92780 likes this.