Silver solder: Tone difference???

Myron Stratis

Do you think that if someone solders his amp speakers with silver solder will it make a difference? Where can I buy silver solder online? Thanks :)

Mickey_C

The Original Racketeer
Gold Supporting Member
Silver solder is good - but by itself it may not be an audible difference. I think it's higher quality, and I use it to build my amps. But I also use mil-spec silver plated teflon coated wire. The biggest difference you will gain from good solder joints is less noise, not necessarily improved frequency response.

Silver is the most conductive (lowest resistance) metal, even slightly better (in that respect) than gold. Gold is used on space equipment due to its better survivability, not its conductance.

If you do use it, make sure you have an iron capable of soldering well with it. The Hako 936 is a bargain at under 100.00, and does a nice job on silver solder.

Mickey_C

The Original Racketeer
Gold Supporting Member
Oh, and a final note - I don't think it will make a bit of difference to use it for soldering the connection to your speakers.

reaiken

And don't forget, most importantly - silver solder keeps werewolves away from your amp. ;)

Randall Aiken