Silverface Bassman 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HenryAdams, Feb 19, 2012.

1. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Member

Hey, Folks:

So in my continuing research/dreaming about a killer amp to pair with my tele, I've recently been obsessed with the silverface Bassman 50. Seems like folks don't really like them...but is that just snobbishness that they're not the original blonde/tweed circuit, or do the AA864, AA165, and AB165 really sound progressively crappier? BTW, not looking for a ton of growl, just beautiful fender clean. (and yeah, I know, Twin Reverb. It's on the list, just thought I'd look at something else.)

2. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

If I was looking for a good Fender clean sound in a compact size and not concerned about reverb, a SF Bassman would top my list. Not that you need it, but you have my blessing. :)

3. Alvis

Alvis Member

Those are still good amps, with good parts . They can easily be made into whatever circuit you want with the lift of a resistor here / a cap there......

4. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

Yes a good amp but can be fairly uninspiring also. I've had a silver face 50 and two blonde heads. They were all decent amps but none of them made me smile much for guitar sounds. Make sure you try some out!

5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

They come w/ some bassy caps which should be lifted. Gets the guitar juice then.

6. ProToolsGuy

ProToolsGuy Member

Which caps are they and where are they located? Please advise. Thx...