Silverface bassman...the weirdest of problems...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Reyybarra, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Seems like everyone's taken a go at this problem..
    New tubes, tube trees, new speakers, biasing, just everything...

When the amp fires up, Everything is great.
    As the amp warms up, weird sounds come out of it, if I hit the amp righ above the jewel light, or above the tranny, it sometimes goes back in, but most of the time, the horrible sound and signal drop stay.

Anyone have any ideas? I feel like the only logical thing that it could be would be the transformer, but was wondering if any one may have had a similar issue at any time...

Thanks

Rey

2. am-audio

am-audio Member

These threads almost always end up with tons of conjecture and at least a few people making the correct recommendation of taking it to a tech...and I'd make the same recommendation. But with that said real world experience tells me that the rectifier and bias diodes on that little eyelet board below the jewel light have leads that develop small cracks and go intermittent and eventually open. Sounds like that or a bad solder joint could be the problem. Don't go poking around in there unless you know how to safely work on high voltage electronics.

3. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I've noticed something sort of similar with my drip edge (since converted to AB165 spec). Immediately after disengaging the standby this wierd buzzy hum comes out of the speakers and then goes away, it lasts roughly 1 second. I've always associated it with old caps flexing, maybe your front end needs some caps replaced? I'm no tech, but my two cents.

4. drewl

drewl Member

You have some type of intermittent problem. A tech would monitor the signal path and voltages while it is failing and should be able to determine the problem without too much difficulty.

5. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Send it to Roy Blankenship in LA, he'll fix it for you and talk to him about his Bassman mods while you're at it!

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    ^^^ What they said. Unless you're qualified to "go in", there aren't a lot of things you can do.

One thing you can do is clean the tube pins and sockets with some Deoxit or other spray electronics cleaner. This will often clear up intermittent problems and is good general maintenance.

Good luck!

7. mxvin

mxvin Member

after its warmed up sometimes there is issues with the fiber eyelet board. Some are heavily wax coated and some are not. I have eliminated odd noise be reflowing the wax with a heat gun....be careful and use low heat. Or sliding a wide tongue depressor under the board to lift it from the chassis.

8. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

What they said^

I too have slid sheets of plastic, polyethylene, whatever under the board to insulate and/or shut up the noise.

These things are 40+ yrs old so moisture, warping, rust, etc. are a problem.

9. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Totally appreciate everyone's input, I will be poking aroudn a little at stuff, (with one hand in my ya pocket hehe)
    I at first thought it was a blown transformer, since I think, the speakers in the original cab were wired for 8 ohms and the bassman is wired for 4. So after all these years I figured it had put too much stress on the transformer and it had given up...

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Wire has drifts somewhere maybe and is causing cross talk? I had my SF Bassman wiring harness redone as it was stock, and as many know, those could be quite the rats nest.

11. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall!

Chop stick and freeze spray. Stay safe

12. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

is it sort of a crackling sound along with a significant volume drop? I had a similar problem on mine that turned out to be a wonky solder joint going to one of the 6L6 sockets. It would happen fairly inconsistently and I'd pound on it down on the right side (which I believe was where the power tubes were) and it would come back on. Love that amp but what a disaster it was inside.

13. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Here's a weird one. I worked on a Bandmaster that would cut out when it heated up. Turns out there was a blob of solder hanging off the bias pot that would expand when hot and intermittently short out. Weird things happen!