Silverface Deluxe Reverb info request.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tfunster, Feb 9, 2008.

1. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Ahh, the thrill of the hunt.

Someone in my area is selling a 1972 Deluxe Reverb for $1000 and I am seriously considering buying it. But I wanna get the lowdown first from the gurus around here.

I know that Fender amps underwent changes after 1967, but I'm wondering how far from blackface specs is the '72 DR? I know that all amps sound a bit different, but I'm wondering if in your guys' experience the early '70's DR's sound good/great.

I will be inspecting the amp, but I'm not sure if I can take a look at the chassis. What should I be looking for when I inspect the amp? Obviously I will be paying attention to rattles, scratchy pots etc..

What serial code should I expect for a '72 DR?

And lastly, is $1000 a good price for one? According to the owner, the amp was just inspected and received a good bill of health. The tubes have been changed and biased.

Thanks for your help guys!

2. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

That sounds about $150 overpriced IMO. Then again, I haven't paid too much attention to the price since I bought my SF DR for about $650 back in 2000. I wouldn't worry about the circuit changes, whatever they did it still sounds great. My DR is stock other than a recap, Weber speaker, and good NOS tubes (Brimar 6v6's, going strong for about 5 years now) and it sounds fantastic.

3. 67super

67super Supporting Member

SRs didn't really change much well into the 70's, I'm not sure what serial numbers were used by then.

I would say if it sounds strong and has good tone the price is right. I paid less for an early 68 a few months ago but it needed work which I do myself. Take along a power screwdriver and ask to take a look inside.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    $1000 isn't out of line. Trust your ears, they're the only thing that counts.

It's easy to bring DR's back to virtual blackface specs but this is often not necessary since the changes are minimal.

Bonuses would be a recent cap job or new tubes of decent quality. If the amp is original it should have a cap job done immediately if not sooner.

5. Joe M

Joe M Member

I agree with Mike about the pricing, it's not out of line, especially if it's clean cosmetically. I'd try to get him down a bit, though, since it's gonna cost ~$100 or so to have it serviced, which you need to do if it hasn't been done.

6. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

If it has had a cap job...I'd buy it. I love DR's, My number one and has been for years