Silverface Super Reverb vs Blackface Bandmaster

killa j

Silver Supporting Member
Currently I have a '66 blackface Bandmaster amp. Nothing wrong with it at all. There is a '77 Super Reverb for sale (on Reverb) for basically not much more than my Bandmaster cost. But I could sell my speaker cab and reverb pedal and end up with a Super Reverb and some cash in my pocket.

So, outside of speakers and built in reverb, how much difference is there between the two amps? The Super has a master volume, but from what I understand it's basically like not having one if I dime it.

Would it be silly to sell my Bandmaster to buy a "lesser" version of a Super Reverb? It's not like the BM sounds bad, I've just always wanted a SR.

swiveltung

You want to find out if the MV Super is an ultra linear. You probably don't want that. The BM has never been my favorite amp, and I'm not sure why. But the Reverb/trem circuit of the Fender amps with those features is a bit different sounding... even with reverb or trem turned off. The signal goes thru more "stuff". A Super is heads and tails my favorite Fender am for sure.

killa j

Silver Supporting Member
Alright, to throw a kink in the works, I found a blackface Super Reverb for a little more than twice what my Bandmaster cost. The speakers are not original, but are alnico speakers from a silverface. Would I be crazy to pass that up? There's always the possibility I would have trouble selling the Bandmaster and cabinet, but I think I would be OK.

Last edited:

sideman

I'd take an early or mid '70s SR over BFBM. Had the latter once and didn't care for it. Tough to lug too. A BFSR is the balls. If it's got the CTS AlNiCos from a SFSR all the better - those were the same SR speakers from '66 into the 70s, and were the best speaker choice. Once sold a '64 with Ceramics to get a '66 with those AlNiCos. SR with AlNiCos is a great amp. If the SF is an early '70s it's fine. But of course the BFSR has the reputation. I wouldn't pay more than 1700 or so for that BFSR. They're not a top dollar amp now with volume levels down.

djd100

Another option...

The reality is that the speakers and cab are the biggest difference maker, so if you want to go cheap and keep your Bandmaster get a 4 X 10 open backed cab the same size as a Super Reverb's, and run it with your Bandmaster.

Aside from that, the BFSR and early 70's SFSR's are the ones to get IMHO (I have a stock 71 SR with the original CTS Alnicos, great amp!).

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
I had a BFSR and a SF B'master Reverb at the same time. No contest. Super Reverb. I later had a SF Showman Reverb alongside the SR. Close, but the BFSR won out. Hard to beat a BFSR. Now, your dilemma is only a little different, but I would still pick a SFSR over a BF B'master. What do your ears and fingers tell you when you play them.

swiveltung

Another option...

The reality is that the speakers and cab are the biggest difference maker, so if you want to go cheap and keep your Bandmaster get a 4 X 10 open backed cab the same size as a Super Reverb's, and run it with your Bandmaster.

Aside from that, the BFSR and early 70's SFSR's are the ones to get IMHO (I have a stock 71 SR with the original CTS Alnicos, great amp!).
Yes, mainly the cab. The speakers are reportedly identical. For a long time people said the speakers from the 70's were not the same voice coil clearances or something like that. There's an on-line thread where a guy took some apart and actually measured them. As identical as they can get within a few ten thousanths of an inch.

killa j

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. Now I just need to sell my Bandmaster and cab. Anyone want a Port City Wave OS 2x12?!?

killa j

Silver Supporting Member
Right on. I really do need to sell some gear now, but I didn't want to miss out on this one. It is from GC, so at least I can return it if it's not in as good condition as described.

Trending Topics