Silverface Twin vs. TRRI: Which is which?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doctor Morbius, Dec 19, 2009.

Silverface Twin vs. TRRI: Which is which?

1. Clip 1 is the Silverface, Clip 2 is the Reissue

2. Clip 1 is the Reissue, Clip 2 is the Silverface

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Here are two quick clips a friend of mine made the other day at a my house. Please forgive the playing AND the sound quality as he had just got the recorder the day before.

Two amps. One is a 1975 Silverface Twin with a Master Volume. It has stock Utah speakers and is loaded with slightly used (~2 hours) JJ preamp and power tubes.

The other amp is a modern Twin Reverb Reissue. It has two Alnico Weber California speakers and has JJ power tubes, NOS RCA 7025 and NOS JAN 12at7 preamp tubes.

Both use the amps stock reverb tank, he was playing an American Standard Strat with Fralin Vintage Hots on the neck+middle position.

Again, far from scientific, but just a fun attempt at comparing vintage vs modern.

Clip 1: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1010088&songID=8497408

Clip 2: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1010088&songID=8497409

2. Marble

Marble Member

well you put the good tubes in the RI, why didn't you just use the same ones for each and swap them??...

3. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

They sound the same to me at that volume

4. ispunk

ispunk Supporting Member

I don't care which is which. I'll still take the SF over the RI.

5. mockoman

mockoman Member

Clip one is crisper & brighter (sounds good),so I'll guess it's the RI.

Disclaimer:I'm always wrong on these polls!

6. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I own a 1975 SF twin. Clip 1 sounds similar, lush reverb and bright however the Utahs are not alnico so this is tough...please do tell.

7. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Clip #1 is the reissue with the upgraded speakers and tubes. FWIW, I even got it wrong and the clips were recorded in my living room with my gear. :huh

8. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Yeah, on another forum, the results were 12 to 7 with more folks thinking the first clip was the Silverface as well. As I said over there, to my ears, they sound very similar with maybe the Reissue sounding smoother up top while the Silverface has a glassier tone in the highs. Both sound very full on the bottom and Doc Morbius said that he thought the midrange was a bit honky on the Reissue.

Still, I seriously doubt I could tell which amp was which based on the tone from one day to the other and on that ground, I'd take the Silverface considering you could likely buy a Silverface and have it serviced and maybe throw a few choice replacement tubes in for about the going rate for a used Reissue in mint condition.

9. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Clip one sounded like it had some good AlNiCos in it
    The first clip sounded a bit better

Clip #1 was the REISSUE! ..good speakers, good tubes...,newer.

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Clip 1 sounds a LOT better to my ears. Clip 2 sounds dead. I wouldn't know how to guess which is which, though. I'm not a huge Fender amp fan other than "The Twin" (the red knob). If I had to guess, I'd guess the first one's the reissue just because it sounds newer. How's that for scientific! :)

Did you do these on the same settings or did you try to match the amps as closely as you could by ear?

11. nater9

nater9 Member

I'd like to hear the Silverface with those NOS tubes and Weber speakers as well. I own a 69 Silverface and think it sounds great, plus it was about $600 cheaper than a new RI. However, in this clip I did like clip 1 better, it actually sounds a lot like my 69.

12. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

I like the RI better in these clips. Reminds of years ago when I bought a '74 TR and was happy with it until I compared it to a friend's early 65 TRRI. I liked his better. HOWEVER, that did change when I got my '69 TR. I liked it better than the '73 or his TRRI.