Silvertone 1333 speaker replacment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by killermeteor, Dec 17, 2009.

1. killermeteor

killermeteor Member

I have a Silvertone 1333 that I really like. The tremolo is absolutely wonderful. But the speaker truly, truly sucks. I had my amp guy wire it up to where I can unplug the stock speaker and go out to an extension cab and it sounds great that way, but I'd like to find a quality replacement speaker so I can leave the cab at home.
    Here's the problem- the speaker's magnet is tiny because it sits directly under the chassis (see pics), so I'm not sure what I can fit in there. Ideas? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. killermeteor

killermeteor Member

Thanks! What kind of Silvertone was your speaker for?
    I'll look into that. I'm not sure that the speaker needs reconing, I think that it may have more to do with that tiny magnet, but it's worth checking out!
    And I really don't mind not keeping the amp original- not that I want to re-house it or anything, but I'm never gonna part with it, so I'm not at all concerned with it's resale value.

Does any one know of a good speaker that I could fit into this thing?
    Thanks again!

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Not sure what would fit in there, any chance you could show an off angle photo into the chassis (it is hard to tell the depth when the tubes and the speaker are directly in line.)

It will also need to be a 4 ohm speaker (some silvertone's also have an 8 ohm tap on the OT, but you'd have to look for it.) The people at Weber speakers might have something they could recommend.

Also, even if you do get a decent modern speaker in there it will still be limited by the small volume of the cab and the press board baffle (I'd at least change that to 1/4" ply.)

I have a 1482, which is pretty much the same topology with some tube substitution (12ax7s in the pre-amp, an 12au6 for the tremolo, and 6x4 rectifier.) I also have a clone of an original Champion 600 with octal pre-amp tubes - those octals can be awesome tone machines and gave me a whole new appreciation for the strat middle pickup. I can just imagine how sweet that amp might sound.

If that was my amp I'd seriously consider a full rehouse one day - maybe as a head.

4. killermeteor

killermeteor Member

Thanks to all- lots of good information and things to consider!
    I may have been a bit vague about this, so just to clarify, the stock speaker is in fine working order, it just sounds like a cheap, crappy speaker.
    Keyser- I'll post some pics as soon as I get the chance and yep, you're right. There probably would be an issue with volume in a band setting, but for solo or duo stuff, I think it would cut it. It can get surprisingly loud!

5. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I found this thread while researching the 1333. A friend just gave me his that he no longer plays.

Looking at the speaker and chassis I'd have to say it's the basket more than the magnet that limits what kind of speaker you can put in here.

[edit: Below is a pic I took. I'd say there's about 1/2" clearance between the chassis and the Oxford that's in there]

[​IMG]

Scott

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. mcknigs

Some more on this amp: Some one suggested that there should be a 4ohm speaker in there. Wouldn't surprise me, as there's a 4ohm in my 1482. However an amp tech told me that some of those were built with 4ohm and trannies and some with 8ohm. The Oxford in mine is 8. I'm wondering whether this suggests my 1333 is 8, or that there's a mismatched speaker in there. Anyone know for sure whether or not there were 1333s made to use an 8ohm speaker? The same tech who told me about the 1482s said the transformers were not that hardy, so not to use a mismatch, as one might with a Fender.

Here are some hi-res (though dark) gut shots for anyone who is interested.

www.scottmcknight.com/1333gut1.jpg

www.scottmcknight.com/1333gut2.jpg

-Scott

7. mcknigs

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. mcknigs

The speaker in mine was there when I got it. It's an Oxford. I'm assuming it's not original because it's 8ohm and the schematic calls for 3.2.

I think the limiting factor in fitting a larger speaker in there is not the magnet, but the depth of the basket at the point that the edge of the chassis crosses over the basket.

My (inexpert) advice would be to mark where the edge of the speaker is on the baffle, remove the speaker and put a ruler into the amp at the bottom of the chassis, at a 90 degree angle to the baffle. On the baffle, mark the spot that corresponds to the edge of the baffle as shown by the ruler. Record the distance from the edge of the chassis to the baffle board, and from the edge of the speaker to the spot on the baffle board corresponding to the edge of the chassis. Contact Weber and ask which of their Jensen clones is less than X" deep at the spot Y" from the edge of the speaker. I'm thinking any of their lower power Jensen clones* would fit and would sound great. You would want them to make you a 3.2 (maybe 4?) ohm version.

Clear as mud? Anyone see a problem with my advice here?

-Scott
    *e.g., C-12P, C-12R, C12Q, or the alnico versions of those.

9. talpa

talpa Member

I had Kendrick put one of their Blackframe 10" (new baffle) in mine about 15 years ago...I think it's an 8ohm speaker I can check tonight...no problems using it.

Funny when I took it to them (the old Pflugerville shop) they had a parted 1333 chassis on the bench and were dying to find a schematic to rebuild theirs...they just cloned off of mine.

a great great practice/harp amp - my '55 Strat kills with it. I'd like to see it run thru a "proper" 1x10 or 2x10 cab to get a deeper sonic appraisal.

10. mcknigs

Just stumbled upon this thread again. I ended up getting the amp serviced by Jeff Bober and putting in a 4ohm Weber clone of the Celestion G12H-30. The speaker fit fine. The amp sounds great.

-Scott