silvertone 1471/airline 62-9012 amp mods

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kctx2, Apr 17, 2008.

1. kctx2

kctx2 Member

Does anyone know the typical mods on these? So far I have found
    1)move tone control between 12ax7 triode halves.
    2)move volume control before the 6v6
    I have heard there were some bypass cap mods but there was no
    details/values given. I know its easy enough to experiment, but
    I wanted to try the recommended bypass mod(s) also.
    Currently, I have changed the 12ax7 cathode resistors to 820 ohm, and bypassed each with a 2.2uf. I have also added a 100uf to the 220 ohm 6v6 cathode resistor. The volume and tone controls were moved as mentioned, and a hefty(but generic) 10 ceramic speaker was added(the original was missing).
    Actually, it sounds really good like this. There comes a point though when the amp no longer has any of the characteristics it was known for, and becomes a completely different amp.
    Thankyou,
    Keith

2. kctx2

kctx2 Member

Does anyone know the typical mods on these?

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I wouldn't say typical mods. Those amps are pretty good as is. What other types of mods are you looking for? It the amp is sounding good, I wouldn't bother doing more. If you are looking to experiment, there are all kinds of things you can do to see how it affects the tone, but they aren't typical mods. Adding the bias cap bypass helps a lot. You can change out the preamp bypass caps. Higher will be less gainy, more bassy, lower will get more crunchy with more treble.

4. kctx2

kctx2 Member

Well, after adding all the mods, I put everything back stock. Wasn't anything to loose, as someone else had tried similar mods before I got, but didn't finish.
    After all was said and done, turns out a cathode bypass cap on the 6v6 was all that was added. Seems as though the mfg had it right the first time with the original design. After patching the tolex and replacing the missing grillcloth, these make pretty nice little amps. Not bad for 20.00

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Those old Silvertones are great!
    I used to use the 1471, years ago.
    I now use an old '57 1331
    Great little recording amp
    single 6V6

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

[​IMG]