Silvertone Espanada - I want one!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Jul 27, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Just saw a kicking blues/swing band the other day and the lead guitar player was playing an unusual guitar, a Silvertone Espanada from the 50s. Has pre-P90 pickups, black archtop with an unusual aluminum binding. Anyone know anything about these models?? Prices??

check out a pict I found on the net...http://www.kokomomusic.com/pages/guitars/silver_alum_50s.html

way retro huh!

2. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

dewman---cult blues god Junior Watson (any REAL blues freak will bow their heads at mention of his name...) is pretty famous for playing that model in the Mighty Flyers back in the 80's and later---fantastic tone---love that metal binding/rim---a HIGHLY sought after Silvertone model, and alas, expensive these days---even with all the quirks---I want one too!

ac

3. dewman

what prompted me was that I found a related silvertone..no aluminum binding but exactly like the espanada, except it had a bigsby. sounded nice, will go back to the local store and see if it is there. It isnt an espanada, but maybe a later version. Still black and all the appointments as the espanada (same pups, guard, etc.) Me likey...although it aint got that wicked cool aluminum dinette binding

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

I remember seeing that guitar in the Sears catalogs in the mid 60s, when I was about 10 or so. I liked it because it reminded me of George Harrison's Tenny.

5. ES350

ES350 Member

The trick is the metal covered P90's---40's Gibson design for the ES150 farmed out to Harmony and on a few other models (Roy Smeck, etc). Most of them are wired out-of-phase ala some 40's-50's Gibsons. These guitars have been expensive for a long time already...

6. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member

Some Silvertone archtops were made by Kay.

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

yeah....0 feeback seller and 0 feedback bidder....

no thanks...

cool guitars though, i used to have one...great jump blues tones for sure!

8. JDJ

JDJ Member

I've got a buddy near Waxhaw, NC if you want someone to check it out...

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've owned one of these. The necks are great, very comfortable and easy to play on. They seem to work best with flats; I used 012's. It was strung with 010 rounds when I got it; the move to flats was a huge improvement.

Also don't forget, it's a fully hollow archtop; in other words tricky to control at volume.

/rick

10. straightblues

straightblues Member

The pickups on the Espanada didn't show up on to many other guitars. They are P-13's. They are highly sought after. I have been traking sales of these guitars for awhile now. Nice examples in playable condition are over a grand these days. Mint ones are closer to $1,500 or so. Prices are rising lately.

11. dewman

man I think that guitar looks cool as hell.

12. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Very cool guitar. I got lucky enough to find a Silvertone Aristocrat 17' archop.The guitar had a poor refin when I got it but had the original bridge pickup (which was dead). I slapped a P90 in the rear and she was off and running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. straightblues

straightblues Member

I had one of the Aristocrats in 9/10 condition. All original. It was a fine guitar.

14. ES350

ES350 Member

I have one here and the top is collapsed...the neck is the same size as a friends Kay bass. I think I'll stick to my ES350 and 50's Guilds...

15. jetlag

jetlag Member

It took me a long time to realize why I liked my H62 (sunburst version of Espanada) so much. Once I put a push-pull phase flip pot in it, I quit taking my early 50's ES5 out. Then I finally sold the ES5 because I never play it. Anyway, I really dig them because they are in between the size of a 175 and ES5/ES350/L5 etc. They have a body right in between in size and a 25" scale, with generally, a fatter neck. Plus, the necks aren't maple like ES5s so they are alot warmer sounding. That combined with those pickups is a great match. I also have another H62 with a collapsed top. I put dogear P90's up on top and it works and sounds great. These guitars are quirky and you need to be patient with them - they often take time and money (and a talented luthier) to get them straightened out. I've talked to a friend about his and he's on his second neck. His top collapsed too so he just put massive wooden spacers painted black under the pickups. Those are the sort of things you have to deal with - with these guitars. So you really have to "want it." Not for everybody.

16. ES350

ES350 Member

I like them, I played them in the 80's and early 90s, sold them---I just don't want to deal with the maintenance anymore. I do have a set of P13's from my uncle's old wrecked Roy Smeck in a LP Special clone...that sounds pretty wild.

17. dewman

just to bump it back up- I found the Silvertone Chris Isaak model (number 1446 ) recently that has the same general apointments as the espanada, but has a bigsby, and split mini humbuckers, and a bolt on neck. Anyone own or play one of these. How do the pickups compare?? Looks like the espanada's twin cousin...sitting a local guitar shop calling my name.....

18. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

The 1446 has a bolt-on neck and has a thinner body than the H62/Espanada. The mini-humbuckers are made by Gibson and sound good, but different than the P-13 pickups. The 1446 neck is thinner than the H62.

The 1446 is more of a rock/Chicago blues guitar compared to the H62 which is more of a jazz/west coast blues guitar. I own both a 1446 and a H62. I like them both.

How much do they want for the 1446? Anything under $800 is a good deal if it's in good shape. Check for top sag before buying it.

Michael

19. dewman

Its less than 800$, cant remember the exact amount off hand, but I'll go back this week and check it out carefully. I had my kid with me and he was crawling all over the place so my hands were tied. Looked great from my initial inspection, but these guitars look like they could be a nightmare if they aren't in shape (like the top sag you mentioned).