Silvertone reissuse? Why no love for them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Yamaha 350, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I would like to discuss the Silvertone reissues. I love them myself. But mostly on the websites and Facebook clubs, they get overlooked. The new ones are hard to come by. And they have the Dearmond pickups recreated by the grandson. Sometimes I hear I can't buy them because of the name on the headstock and the fact they are always associated with Sears. I hated those guitars back then I just can't. I say get over it.:confused:

The offset looks so cool. And The Andy Griffith Show had an episode named A Singer In Town. The guy that played in By By Birdy acted like he played one. His character owned one. But his hands never got close to the strings. It looked so cool to me growing up. The originals are too expensive and are not worth it.

But the reissues both models with different pickups are great. The problem is the company has Samick make them. And Samick guitars are amazing at any price. It is just they are hard to find. Very few stores carried them. And most of the time you have to buy them online. And again they are hard to find. And my family hates ordering online. And always stops me from ordering too. They run that mouth.:confused:

The offset is made 100 times better than the original. And has a real Bisgby. It has that classic look. The Jupiter is also a great reissue. Both models. The Dearmond pickup model kicks butt. It also has the famous blender switch. But sadly it gets overlooked.:confused::mad:

The Danelectro reissue style is not the cheap masonite and plywood. It is mahogany and has that ugly headstock. But is 10 times better made than the Danelectro. because of the wood, it uses. But it also gets overlooked. The local shops they do not carry them. Guitar Center either. Online retailers, they are sold out.:confused:

Why were they hard to come by? And why are they overlooked? They are under 500 dollars and really affordable? They are the workhorse of a guitar. And do you personally think since they were associated with Sears that the connection is a big turn off to most people?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

It's a bit of a niche market and Eastwood have already mined it pretty thoroughly, as have the modern Danelectro company. There's also a ton of originals out there and they're not particularly expensive if you're into them. I'd guess most young people who are into them are happy to have something with the victory even if it's not technically as good a guitar and they have to fight it a bit.

I had a chat with Patrick Eggle a long while back about Shergold, which he was working on designs for at the time, and he said the big problem bringing an old brand back is that if there are a load of old ones out there for less money than you can make them for today then it's a very hard sell to market a reissue - that's why the modern Shergolds are 'inspired' by rather than reissues. I think there's more point when the originals potentially weren't that great in their day and might not have aged well, but certainly the Dano made guitars are pretty damn good in their day. Some of the Harmony made stuff was pretty good as well.

I don't like the idea of a Dano with solid wood body. The construction is part of the beauty of that design - stupidly cheap to make, surpasses all expectations in terms of sound. The originals are lovely and light as well. My Silvertone 1419 gets plenty of play time alongside my expensive guitars.

27sauce, adamrobertt and chandlerman like this.
  3. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I can understand that. But the originals I see of the offset go for 800 up to 2000 dollars for the 2 or 3 pickup version. Eastwood is decent but not worth the asking price. So these are made way better than the Eastwood. And Samick makes killer stuff.

And the company that reissued them made it hard to find and buy them, to begin with. You could not find them any place local. Online only. Why not Guitar Center? Local places do not get them either. Then the newer ones have the new Daromond pickups. But they also are not sold anyplace. And most guitar players would not touch a guitar sold by Sears with a 10-foot pole. So I think they were not marked well. And a lot of places did not sell them. Or want them. They are well made.

4. flatdream

flatdream Member

5. woof*

woof* Member

These are not popular because of the construction. The original hollow Masonite are lightweight and sound awesome with original lipstick pickups. You can still get them cheap too if your patient

6. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I now one the Samick made Silvertone reissue. It is one of the best guitars I own. I touch it allot. DeArmond pickups recreated by the family. And this is a old thread.

[​IMG]

derekd likes this.
  7. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

SIlvertone also made a really, really budget line of knockoff beginner guitars and solid state amps through the 90's and 2000's that did nothing to enhance their namesake.

8. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Member

What? No. A player grade Silhouette H-19 (the offset model that the reissue is based on) go for $500 or $600 in player's condition. Yeah, there are some people on Reverb asking $1200, but they won't sell for that. I should know - I just bought and flipped one from 1966.

Honestly, making these guitars out of "real wood," slapping an import Bigsby on them, and using lame modern Chinese pickups totally ruins the coolness of these guitars and pretty much destroys any reason to buy one. The old ones are cool BECAUSE they're masonite, and they have those crazy good DeArmond gold foils, and that Hagstrom vibrato actually worked pretty damn good too.

Why buy some lame reissue when you can buy a real one for the same price? A piece of guitar history.

9. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

:rolleyes:
    But most guitar players hate and say they will never buy a Sears sold guitar, Kay. Harmony etc... So I guess that is that.

10. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Indonesia made the guitars not China.

11. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

Personally, as a kid in a big family, all Dad could afford was a cheap, used Silvertone/Harmony to get me started playing guitar. Most kids didn't stick with musical instruments for very long, so it was a risky purchase, even for a loving father. I loved that crappy guitar then, played it for many years...and still have it...in the closet. It's a relic of my past. But now I simply can't stand anything built that cheap.

Like a lot of Baby Boomers, we've turned our backs on beginner guitars, especially if there isn't a ton of fond memories struggling to learn on one. Even if these reissued models are better built than the originals, I can't get past the memories.

Scary Uncle G. and johnsav like this.
  12. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

That is the answer I was looking for. Thank you. :aok

13. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Member

Same difference.

14. johnsav

johnsav Member

Yeah, I can't get on board with the '60s Teiscos and Sears because these were the guitars I yearned for when we had a small cheap acoustic among three older boys at home.
    I would drool over them in catalogues, eager to try an 'electric guitar'.
    When I did play them at the department store they were disappointing- toothpick necks, rough miniature frets, thin clanky sound through the Sears amp.
    I wondered how Jeff Beck was able to work these weird things.

Guitartim likes this.
  15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Best looking one out of the above bunch, imo.

"You touch it allot?" Don't you mean play it a lot?

John Stamos, is that you?

16. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Yes I full around with it. I'm not a great player. But a decent one.

derekd and johnsav like this.
  17. johnsav

johnsav Member

I like your Silvertone, probably the coolest one IMO.

18. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Yeah, I've been around here a while now and I really haven't heard that. I don't know where you got this chip on your shoulder from? A couple of the Sears Silvertone amps are actually quite popular around here, especially the 1482 and 1484.

19. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

No Chip on my shoulder. I have read and heard a lot of guitar players talk of their disdain for those off brands and amps. I here it all the time. I never wanted them back then or the reissues now they will say. I read articles on Reverb and those comments on the comment sections. And most say the same things. And I talk on Facebook guitar clubs. And read the same things. And comment on the threads.

I belong to clubs that like them. And we talk about them there. But some people are not open minded to those brands. Like the Teisco reissue's in Japan only. A person told me the original Tesco's are junk and it is fun sometimes to fix them up. That is the charm of them. But we do not buy them. So the reissues play better. We do not want them. We want crappy original specs. So that is why we cannot have nice things? What?:rolleyes2::worried

20. Verne Andru

Verne Andru Member

The "new" Silvertone came out long after Evets started the Danelectro reissues and didn't bring anything new to the table. Jerry Jones had been making high quality Dano knock-offs for years and he folded once Evets got up to speed, so anything new had to stand out and it didn't.

The first ones were solid bodies with the horrible headstock shape. As others have said, it's the fact that the originals were made so good out of such cheap materials that gives them their appeal. The Danelectro coke-bottle headstock is a huge improvement over the Silvertone 6-in-line.

It takes connections to get a new product line stocked by people like Guitar Center. Silvertones came along at a time when GC was falling into difficult financial waters making new product lines a tough sell, which is why you don't see them as available as other product lines.