Similar Clean to an Orange RV50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theroan, Feb 27, 2009.

1. theroan

theroan Member

I played an Orange rockerverb 50 recently and I have to say, it was one of the best cleans I've heard in a while. Really clean, lush, huge reverb. I wasn't too thrilled with the overdrive channel though.

Anyone know of an amp with a similar clean channel, reverb and all?

2. theroan

theroan Member

3. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

I think most feel that the Orange Clean is kinda blah. I'm in that boat and that's why my Rockerverb is up for sale. Additionally, the clean channel takes pedals poorly.

4. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

wow, now I'm a cork sniffer? Awesome! I was hoping to attain that status today. The clean channel is just a bit sterile to me and lacks the depth of say a Fender or Budda

5. theroan

theroan Member

I found the reverb on it added a lot of depth. Like you could do an ambient album with a strat, the amp and a volume pedal.

6. spyeman

spyeman Member

There's always a lot of static over the RV clean channel. I don't know if its the tubes, my speakers, or what, but the clean channel sounds great, anything but sterile, but I don't doubt those who say it does to them. With a little reverb and chorus, it's outstanding. I have been on a search to find which pedals work well with the clean channel - so far, the Tim/Timmy is perfect for a little hair, and the Zen, Reeza, Screwdriver are all great for leads, but the best so far is the Jetter Purple. Interesting comment on the Budda clean above, I loved the SDII18, but there's not much clean there, period, probably why they call it a rhythm channel, had great crunch, but no basic clean sound to be had. Lastly, the best part of the RV IS the dirty channel, the best one I have ever found in all the amps I've had, which are too many..............

7. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

I absolutely love the dirty channel on my Rockerverb but even though I've never sniffed a cork (screw top guy myself), I just haven't been able to embrace the clean channel. I don't think it's terrible just not workin' for my needs.

Mine hit CL this weekend as well...

8. theroan

theroan Member

Bump, anything similar?

9. freaksho

freaksho Member

the RV50 was my first good tube amp. i loved the cleans but i ultimately sold it because i wanted more Marshall in the dirty channel. so instead i got a Shiva. it has very similar cleans as the RV imo - thick, decent chime, nice reverb, and huge headroom (too much for some, also called "sterile" by detractors, like the RV). Shiva also has more Marshall favored gain tones (tighter yet still very thick), though not as much gain as the RV. i'm very happy with it.

edit: this guy's videos are very representative of Shiva tones to my ear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29oeGuAmBws

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

FWIW: I think the RV50 cleans are fantastic straight up, but don't have that pushed "TGP-approved" Dr Z-style "bluez" breakup.
    Clean channel is VERY clean and lush and DOES sound a bit harsh with pedals IMHO. I actually love the drive channel the best....

11. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

STOP Hijacking this guys thread, seriously answer his question or start your own thread!

To the OP, sorry I have played the RV50 and cant think of an amp like it.

12. theroan

theroan Member

thank you!

13. soulohio

soulohio Member

i think that some don't care for the clean channel cause they break the Orange golden rule: this amp must be played loud (even clean)

also, do the V30's make good clean sound? I am starting to like the grunt they give when broken in and going for the drive...loud of course

does a compressor help the cleans? maybe some Barber action?