Similar designs to the Hofner Jazzica

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LoopyBullet, Apr 24, 2015.

1. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

Anyone know of designs similar to the Hofner Jazzica? Played one of these a few months ago and it was really amazing. Nice hollowbody sound, sounds great acoustically, and really comfortable because it tapers from a jazzbox size to a thinline size as the body progresses toward the neck.

There are some gripes...headstock looks incredibly strange, weirdly designed pickguard...not huge. but aside from that it's out of production. Anyone know of jazz boxes that are similar to the Jazzica?

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

The Jazzica is a pretty unusual design. They do come up for sale in jazz circles fairly often though. Talk to the folks at the jazz guitar forum and they'll get you pointed in the right direction

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

People complain about the headstock and pickguard?

They look fine, to me.

[​IMG]

4. jazzguitarfan

jazzguitarfan Member

None that I am aware of. There are some other quirky designs out there, but the Jazzica is unique. The pickguard design is basically to facilitate the use of the f-hole plugs (maybe cat eye plug is more appropriate).

I gigged one (the French polish, antiqued variety) for years and regrettably, sold it a few years ago. They are still sold in Europe, just not imported here. There's a couple on Reverb now, including a burst for a very reasonably price. Coincidentally, I was looking at these yesterday.

They are really nice and seem pretty unique design wise. I haven't seen any other with that body taper. Upper fret access is also fantastic.