simple analog flanger that focuses on TZF?

vanguard

I want a simple flanger that focuses on through-zero flanging. I don't really like other flanger sounds, so TZF is all I really need. I have a strong preference for analog. Ideas?

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
Mr Black
Subdecay

I like to set flangers for chorusy bits, so I don't really have experience with either. I just know from looking around at flangers, and these get some good sounds.

chankgeez

Think the Mr. Black is digital.

The SubDecay is analog, but not sure it does TZF.

Don't think TZF is easy to accomplish in an analog pedal. There are only a few that do it and they're not simple.

S. F. Sorrow

I also think that analog may not do TZF.
The EHX Flanger Hoax (pretty sure its analog) does something that sounds similar.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Think the Mr. Black is digital.

The SubDecay is analog, but not sure it does TZF.

Don't think TZF is easy to accomplish in an analog pedal. There are only a few that do it and they're not simple.

If you consider BBD's analog, then it's actually pretty dead-simple.

bratch

Yeah the 'hoax is analog and does, IMO, great tzf sounds.

I used to rock one on my board even though it's 18v, has more knobs and switches than all my other pedals combined, and is bigger than some folks' entire pedal boards.

It does do other cool things besides tzf.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
BBD is analog. So, why aren't there more analog TZFs on the market?

because...I dunno

For a given flanger design, if it took 2 BBDs to get the basic flanging sound, it'd take a minimum of 6 (plus the support components) to get to the TZF equivalent. And then add at least one more clock driver/LFO section that are closely sync'd, a bunch of extra filter components, extra gain matching/inverting stages... And then you have to get people to understand that the extra cost is worth it... and most flanger users got by just FINE without TFZ for decades. The markdet for TFZ is smaller than it is for basic flangers, so it becomes quite a small niche.

btw, my chip-example (above) uses just one way to get TZF.
It doesn't HAVE to be a BBD that gets the needed temporal delay. There are other ways.
(...hmmmm... I think I just thought of a way to do it by just doubling the BBD's)
But nonetheless, it takes more internal hardware and it is a smaller market.

Frosted Glass

BBD is analog. So, why aren't there more analog TZFs on the market?

Cost, difficulty to design, players wanting the erruption or barracuda sound from the pedal rather than a tape flange sound?

I look at flanger pedals a bit like vibes- what started as a crude approximation of a sound, sort of how a vibe is a crude approximation of a rotating speaker sound, has become a sound in its own right.

chankgeez

Exactly. I love flangers, but really don't care about recreating an authentic tape flange/TZF sound. People who do love TZF are in an extreme hardcore minority.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom