Simple bar chord question

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by exhaust_49, May 5, 2005.

1. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I new at this so bear with me. I'm learning the basics. I learning to make a barchord out of a scale. For a major you bar at say G play the octave of your 3rd and 1st and play your 5th. To get a minor chord you would flatten the 5th correct?

2. lhallam

lhallam Member

It's unclear to me what you are saying. For an E position barre chord you are going to lift your second finger on the G string which will flatten the 3rd of the chord giving a minor chord:

MAJOR E Position 3rd fret = G major
    ---1---
    ---1---
    ---12-
    ---1--4-
    ---1--3-
    ---1-----

minor E Position 3rd fret = G minor
    ---1---
    ---1---
    ---1---
    ---1--4-
    ---1--3-
    ---1-----

3. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

that's exactly what I needed to know.
    thanx

4. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

That make it a lot clearer for me Old Tele Man thanx. I didnt think about that but it makes a lot more sense. One more question, what is the fingering for a bar chord (let's use C this time) across 5 strings (major and minor)?

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Cmajor in the "A pattern" of C-A-G-E-D (more about that later)
    [​IMG]
    Flat the 3rd (e) and here you have minor:
    [​IMG]

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

Cool stuff Dave, what s/w are you using to make these layouts?

Exhaust_49 - do you know the names of all the notes on the fingerboard? If not, you need to learn them. This will come in handy later when identifying the names of barre chords. Once you learn the fretboard you will be able to move these barre chords anywhere on the neck.

I've got a not-so-fun but effect method for learning the notes. If you want, send me an e-mail and I'll send you my lesson.

BTW - I'd like to know the success rate of you guys who have tried the fingerboard lesson. Any testimonials? good/bad/otherwise?

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

It's the fretboardknowledge tool available for free at http://www.fretboardknowledge.com

I love this guy for making that available. It's been a great tool for scales and chords.

Don't forget to check out his "note permutator" too, another great tool for generating scales/arps/patterns.

Sadly it's only for later versions of Windows. He's also stopped development on it, so I think I may have to write a Java version so it can be used on any platform.

8. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

check your email lhallam