Simple/compact delay with tap

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Looking to do a small board for P&W and in need of a compact delay for that project, that either has a tap feature or an input to do an external tap. I've used a DD-7 before but just curious on any other suggestions. Needs to be fairly cost effective too, would like to keep the delay under $150.

-Empire

DD-7 is a great pedal. Just grab an external tap switch ($30 from saturnworks, make sure you get the normally closed option).

If you want all in one, it's tough to beat the Diamond MLJr. Do a search for it on here, you'll find nothing but the highest praise for it. It's voiced perfectly and will work very well for the P&W thing if you bump up the mix and repeats to 12 o'clock or so. It's also easy to mod for external tap. Also has selectable tails which is a crucial feature for the P&W tap tempo thing IMO. You don't want your delay tails to cut off abruptly when you switch off the pedal. It's very jarring in a live setting.

Last edited:

chrisross

History_Vol2.jpg

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
hits all parameters... except the OP's price range :bonk
Yep, looks awesome other than that!

DD-7 is a great pedal. Just grab an external tap switch ($30 from saturnworks, make sure you get the normally closed option).

If you want all in one, it's tough to beat the Diamond MLJr. Do a search for it on here, you'll find nothing but the highest praise for it. It's voiced perfectly and will work very well for the P&W thing if you bump up the mix and repeats to 12 o'clock or so. It's also easy to mod for external tap. Also has selectable tails which is a crucial feature for the P&W tap tempo thing IMO. You don't want your delay tails to cut off abruptly when you switch off the pedal. It's very jarring in a live setting.
Can the Diamond run off a one spot with an OD and maybe a clean boost, without getting loud? Again, just looking for cheap options with power supply for a small board. I'm thinking of trying it just with my amp's reverb and not having a separate reverb pedal, but will just have to see how it works for swells and such.

-Empire

Can the Diamond run off a one spot with an OD and maybe a clean boost, without getting loud? Again, just looking for cheap options with power supply for a small board.

I can't comment on that as I've always used isolated power. But a good solution for you since you already have the 1spot is to just grab a gigrig isolator from Analog man's website with free shipping. Plug the isolator into the 1spot, then plug your pedals into that.

I'm thinking of trying it just with my amp's reverb and not having a separate reverb pedal, but will just have to see how it works for swells and such.

I would not recommend this as the amount of reverb you need for swells is much higher than you need for general playing, even in P&W. You could probably get by with 1 reverb pedal and your amp's reverb always on. I'd recommend the Boss RV-6 or Digitech Polara. Both are inexpensive and incredible values.

For swells, ambient playing, and big tremolo picking parts you'll need a heavy delay sound, and in a live setting you won't have time to reach down and change the settings on the MLJr before and after those parts. Before I sold everything and got a Helix I used the Digitech Obscura for this sound because it is a good value pedal and it has selectable tails, like the Polara and MLJr.

You might find my $1000 worship pedalboard video helpful (link to my channel in my sig). I cover all this basic P&W stuff.

marvelboy_04

Yep, looks awesome other than that!

Can the Diamond run off a one spot with an OD and maybe a clean boost, without getting loud? Again, just looking for cheap options with power supply for a small board. I'm thinking of trying it just with my amp's reverb and not having a separate reverb pedal, but will just have to see how it works for swells and such.
Memory Lane Jr. works great with my onespot. I would recommend a separate reverb though.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I can't comment on that as I've always used isolated power. But a good solution for you since you already have the 1spot is to just grab a gigrig isolator from Analog man's website with free shipping. Plug the isolator into the 1spot, then plug your pedals into that.

I would not recommend this as the amount of reverb you need for swells is much higher than you need for general playing, even in P&W. You could probably get by with 1 reverb pedal and your amp's reverb always on. I'd recommend the Boss RV-6 or Digitech Polara. Both are inexpensive and incredible values.

For swells, ambient playing, and big tremolo picking parts you'll need a heavy delay sound, and in a live setting you won't have time to reach down and change the settings on the MLJr before and after those parts. Before I sold everything and got a Helix I used the Digitech Obscura for this sound because it is a good value pedal and it has selectable tails, like the Polara and MLJr.

You might find my $1000 worship pedalboard video helpful (link to my channel in my sig). I cover all this basic P&W stuff.
Thanks for that feedback. I will definitely have to check out your video when I get a chance. I have an RV-5 on my acoustic rig and like it alot. Curious about a DD-7 with the JHS mod (I know some people have strong opinions on JHS), that would allow a saved setting for ambient and another for general playing. Not sure if it would carry over the tap or not if I was switching in the same song, may have to ask JHS?

-Empire

Thanks for that feedback. I will definitely have to check out your video when I get a chance. I have an RV-5 on my acoustic rig and like it alot. Curious about a DD-7 with the JHS mod (I know some people have strong opinions on JHS), that would allow a saved setting for ambient and another for general playing. Not sure if it would carry over the tap or not if I was switching in the same song, may have to ask JHS?

The JHS mod just lets you switch between two different modes, not two different saved presets.

RE: tap tempo switching - From JHS's website: "Use the normal Mode switch in a tap setting and use the second mode switch in a non-tap setting... When you toggle between the 2 settings, it saves your tapped setting even if you tweak the delay time knob on the non-tap setting."

Don't be afraid of boss pedals. A lot of guys are realizing the Strymon stuff is total overkill. It's not the gear, it's how you use it. The lead player from Elevation (Lance Gatch) uses two DD-5's synced up with a Disaster Area SmartClock. This is a pic my buddy took in LA during their most recent USA arena tour with Hillsong and Jesus Culture.
wOhHixqiVleieuK_rt-dBJCczHLKI5EegyeXLr3Hdy8St43ksLmawP4eeYi7wsRa8UlQqvcOH5meTLaCICUpvdtRgJYWrtVJfzN3nQwk5xBoLwWV912hfxjTkE-xLIM3H2w-yJc_H_IlOCdjr2dU440E6H2CvgUV5efEWswmcK49p5O1xpKH2xPkHfd-BA6O62MZJPSUfKCbBMpGxjEieY0NT5rXTtG5kpTT_i9mkJzNf88vz5KJP3v2DJVPOWGCl-IOj0AC3btUbZ7N9hBKa_-SV6EmfiyApjJvoLOJ-jqiJL5maXFZsNEOT0PRCaAUPdaLU7evb2cO8fZXZyqChjmIDrJor7OZ4__OHL1qoXqhIPAqWjkYTqj1fjef4_Z--1ePnyKWffOU6kOEKRU62VkSkLPXem3wwqXaFI1OmlselPCOZ2xxJMVl5U60sycsKl_GquUWEwX6OrIjnPywyh2-zzbKiOQREOdgnVw1WAoWoCrhd3esFYofX1YfizalAPwV8aU4KzU3Gv9ttE7y6j47NhtzN15AtuHmCefaIIk_S6WTx7TlEj9WE4Q6iga17YB5rRM=s1083-w1083-h813-no

sub rosa

Though I appreciate the idea behind an "MXR sized" delay with tap tempo per the examples above, I can't help but think that it's just impractical in a live setting to have the footswitches so close together.

I'd be concerned about hitting the wrong switch, or stomping both at the same time, especially if you're a singing guitarist!

WoodyStrat

DD7 is one of the best delays around for size and feature set. Gives a great buffer toward the end of the chain too. Use the on board tap or get a tap foot switch for when you need added convenience.

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
I always thought it was strange that the History Lesson, Chambers and Tonal Recall all put the tap switch on the left. If you're a right-footed tapper, as most musicians are, then it would be a lot easier to use if the tap switch was on the right side of those small, single space pedals. There's less chance of accidentally turning the pedal on or off on a dark stage that way.

Gibs210

I always thought it was strange that the History Lesson, Chambers and Tonal Recall all put the tap switch on the left. If you're a right-footed tapper, as most musicians are, then it would be a lot easier to use if the tap switch was on the right side of those small, single space pedals. There's less chance of accidentally turning the pedal on or off on a dark stage that way.
I must be weird then, always prefer to use my left foot for switching (maybe because I trained my left foot to run my way waaaay back in the day, never liked using my right foot since it would rock the body around too much, so left foot made sense to me, being a righty handed.)

So much so, that when I built my controller for my board, I placed the tap switch in the bottom left corner of the pedal, then placed the pedal on the bottom left corner of my board. :dunno

Also suggest the echo park, good smallish delay with a much more intuitive bypass/tap switch arrangement than boss.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom