• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Simple, decent sounding direct recording devices

rob2001

My studio/band room is a detached building. In the winter months, I don't like firing up the heating system unless we're having full band practice.

For keeper tracks I do prefer to record my amps at volume out there but in winter it sure is nice just being able to plug a simple device in and record in the house.

While I prefer real amps, I have had decent results using an old Yamaha rack preamp and an ADA cab simulator but i'm thinking there are better sounding solutions.

Note, I don't like modelers for the masses. I've had and sold a Tonelab, A Line 6 bean and a V-amp. I'm not going there again unless it's an Axe-FX.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Sansamp G2, the tech 21 character series pedals, rack preamps with cab sims, just good base tones and simple. Even a Bad Monkey has a direct out...wonder how that sounds? It would be nice to just plug in and play with minimal tweeking. I don't need FX, I do most of that after stuff is recorded.

I know the best solution is to buy and try but i'm pretty tight for cash and I hate flipping stuff. Any suggestions or opinions on the gear I mentioned, or otherwise, are much appreciated.

Big Boss Man

What about re-amping? Just get something that will allow you to record a both an unprocessed signal and an amp model.

peridot1

I have the character series and they're nice, but my favorites for direct is the AMT SS-20 for high gains and the DC Womanizer for everything else. Without those 2 pedals I wouldn't go direct at all (unless I get a little rich for a T-rex spindoctor or koch pedaltone).

Julia343

Eleven Rack. Interface + an excellent modeler w/ mic and cab models and it comes with Pro Tools LE.

Mr_You

I haven't done it much lately, but I enjoy playing the analog distortions/overdrive from the Nova System into a Digitech JamMan. Its much more fun than trying to use a computer.

Ooogie

I'd like to get an Ethos for that purpose as well as the pedalboard. That pedal really seems to have a lot of great tone and from what I've heard on demos it gives you a lot or versatility. Here's a link to check out...

http://www.customtonesinc.com/

Mark

Top Bottom