Simple drum machine, non pedal unit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dr.Picklebottom, May 4, 2016.

1. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

I'd like to have a simple drum machine to use to play along to w/o needing to use a computer (I've got some decent software but don't enjoy using a laptop while playing guitar).

No interested in the beat buddy or even the non-insane priced digitech unit as I use amp gain so a pedal isn't practical for me.

I've seen some of the very advanced models by alexis and boss go for very little used but have a feeling it'd be too much for me, i dont need, want, or would even be willing to invest the time necessary to program beats for a song. I'd just like to pick a cool beat and tempo and go.

Anyone using or aware of a unit like this?

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

You can probably find an app on your phone for that.

3. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

BOSS DR series would fit your needs

Dr.Picklebottom likes this.
  4. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

good idea but im using an ancient iphone 4s thats screwed up and always telling me the memory is maxed out bc i have like 5 pictures on my baby on it, lol.

once i get another phone ill probably do that, may be a while though.

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I just sold my DR-550.

6. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

thanks, i love boss too. im def leaning towards their dr line.

7. charmonder

charmonder Member

just need a drum machine
    features not important
    programming not important,

almost all of the budget drum machines are designed that you can just scroll through preset patterns and adjust tempo. any further programming is optional.
    boss dr550, alesis hr-16, alesis sr-16, zoom also makes budget drum machines,

8. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

whatd you think of it? how was the programming, easy to use? can you do presets?
    thanks in advance, i was really hoping to find someone thats actually used these.

9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I had it since I was a kid, Its a decent drum machine for 50-60 bucks. It can run on batteries, can plug it into headphones or external speaker, had lots of presets. I never really learned to use it properly.. I really should have. I didn't do much programming on it, I would just use the presets and adjust the tempo.

Dr.Picklebottom likes this.
  10. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

An old Zoom 123 or Boss 770 should be fine. I can't remember if the Zoom has presets, but maybe it does. The Boss definitely does.

11. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Of all of the drum machines that I've used, the Boss drum machines seem to be the ones that are most geared toward how you've described that you want to use it (accompaniment with guitar).

If you can find a good deal on a used DR880, you can plug your guitar right into it and use the built in guitar effects along with drum and bass lines.

13. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

I've had the Alesis HR16 for over two decades, and it's helped me write some of the best songs I've ever written. You can probably find one used dirt cheap. Simple to use, and sounds great for Rock, Punk, Pop, Blues or Reggae.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  14. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

This;)