Simple Les Paul Tuning Stability Tip

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Beam Tetrode, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

This only applies to ABR-1 bridges, but I have done it to all my Historic LPs and it works wonders. Most players think the nut is the root of Gibson tuning issues, but in my experience it is usually the bridge. It sits loose on the studs and slides around, causing all sorts of tuning instability. The fix is to grab a hammer and gently tap each stud outward, away from the guitar's center line. With just enough hammering, the bridge will lock firmly against the studs. The bridge will not move around anymore and the guitar will stay in tune much longer.

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

= Remind me to never buy a Guitar from you!

3. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

No worries, I don't sell guitars. This is a great solution though. I battled Gibson tuning issues for years, but doing this totally improved my Historic Les Pauls and 335s. Open chords sound amazing. I can palm mute and play hard, the tuning remains solid.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That's what I'm thinking.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the principle makes sense, i'd just not be so big on the widening of the holes that the posts are set in, it's just wood after all.

the tonepros bridges follow this same logic, locking the bridge in place for no movement, and without risk of loosening the bridge posts.

still, most gibson tuning issues are at the nut.

6. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The posts are still good and tight in the maple. No finish damage either. The key is gentle hammering.

7. claudel

claudel Member

Callaham ABR-1 has set screws to clamp the bridge to the posts.

Same result, I'd guess.

8. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

This can be done by putting a couple of nuts on the post and tapping with a small jewelers hammer.:bonk No problem. Would I do it? Well who knows?:dunno