Simple Logidy Epsi question (11R)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by The Interceptor, Jan 31, 2015.

1. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I've sort of asked this elsewhere but it's been buried in other threads, so here goes. I have an Eleven Rack which I am mostly happy with. However I'd like a backup (because my 11R has been repaired once already). I reckon my best options are:
    a) Buy a spare 11R - probably minimum $500 option in Australia, maybe more.
    b) Buy a Logidy Epsi and pair that up with my Digitech RP360XP - about half the cost.

Either way I'm going direct to an Alto TS112A. Low gain Fenderish stuff is pretty good with either 11R or RP360XP for me, but the higher gain Marshally stuff has the 11R streaking ahead.

What say you, good people? Anyone had some relevant experience? Maybe the Epsi will improve my 11R too.

2. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

3. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I have an 11R. The EPSi is on my GAS list. I would use it for cab sims with various modelers including MS100BT, RP250 and 11R. But, I'm also interested in using the convolution reverb version of the firmware for EPSi.

Obviously, I have no first hand experience with EPSi. However, I do recall reading about Singtall comparing EPSi and 11R to a GSP1101 and he seemed to prefer the 1101 with C63 firmware (for both amp and cab modeling) to the 11R w/EPSi. Perhaps, you should consider an 1101 + C63 firmware as another backup alternative to your 11R.

Also IIRC Pete had both an 1101 and 11R + EPSi. He ended up selling the 11R + EPSi in favor of a dual 1101 setup.

4. djluis48

djluis48 Member

I also had the EPSi in my GAS list bu several users reported that the 11R seems to have decent to good cab sims therefore it doesn't have much improvement on the 11R. The achilles heel of the 11R seems to be the Pre-amp modelling. That changed my mind and now i don't have the EPSi as high on my GAS list. I still want it, but to use it with my Zoom G3 as is the oppsite of the 11R, it have decent pre-amp sims but weak cab sims.

5. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I kind of feel the opposite about the 11R.
    I think the preamp sims are great & respond to player touch & guitar controls very well. The cab sims voicings extend well above and below EQ wise what a guitar cabs frequency response is.

The cab sims can be tamed reasonably well with the parametric EQ using low pass & high pass filters.
    Kudos to Singtail for that info.

I'd rather theoretically (don't own the Epsi yet) just use an Epsi in the loop and have the fx slot the EQ occupies free for other fx.

6. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

Agree with this 100%.
    I owned an 11R and an Epsi and felt the 11R amps and fx are great but the cabs are fair. The Epsi helped it out quite a bit.
    I also had great luck using a GSP1101 in the 11R's loop. The GSP's user IR's and fx filled in the blanks on the 11R.

7. alltogether

alltogether Member

Does the 11R have a USB interface for recording? If you turn cabs off and get an IR loading program, you should be able to test different IRs without actually buying the ESPi.

8. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Yes the 11 does have a USB out.
    It generally comes packaged with protools and is set up to be an audio interface.
    Also has a mic pre.

Trying IRs out that way is not a bad suggestion at all.
    Haven't so much as connected my 11 to a computer yet but I'll get around to it.

I am a protools user but I picked my 11 up used with expansion pack & no PT for a great price intending to use it live direct with a band that uses in ears.

9. gtrlw

gtrlw Gold Supporting Member

Its the other way around. The preamps on the 11R are great imho. Some folks complain about the cabs. I don't play frfr so its not an issue for me.

10. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Hey few questions for owners of both/either:

- With 2 SD cards, can I easily load between the reverb and the cab firmwares on the EPSI? I sometimes use my Zoom G3 for FOH/direct, sometimes for recording, and sometimes into an amp (cabs turned off). Is loading the new FW a lengthy process? Do I need it connected to a computer? I'd be interested in replacing the Zoom's OK reverbs with high-quality convolution verbs in certain situations, and using the cabs when recording or going direct.

- How is the 11R's reverb compared to high-quality verbs? (Fractal, Logic/Waves plugins, Lexicon)

11. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I can't speak on the Epsi SD card thing but the SR reverb in the 11r expansion pack is versatile and every bit as good as any higher end verb plugins I've used.

12. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Thank your everyone for your comments so far. However I think I've been misunderstood: I didn't want the Epsi for my 11R; it was to make my RP360XP a decent backup. I don't have any complaints about my 11R, I just want a backup plan and the Epsi looks like a good part of the solution.

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

As a backup or alternate to the 11r I would look at the Amplifire.. For $200 more than the EPSI, you get the whole 9 yards and IR's .....

14. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I think that delta will be more than $200 by the time it lands in Australia. Plus I want this sometime during 2015.

15. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

I'm in a similar spot - have and love 11R, got an EPSi on the way, but also wanting a backup/somethign to stash at the sunday gig.

do i get another 11R (tempting at the price), or grab a POD or GSP/RP and use better IRs with it.

16. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

The GSP would be a great backup. It loads user IR's so you wouldn't need to use the Epsi with it.
    When I had the Epsi, I tried it with the GSP and it really made no difference. The GSP (with Ownhammer IR's) sounded fine on it's own.

17. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

wish i could find a sweet deal on a used GSP....

i actually had already thought of the IR/GSP angle (actually it would be cool to use *with* the 11R as an IR loader and extra FX...kinda like the perfect complement)...but i also read that the GSP truncates the IRs - i'm guessing based on your comment that it's not enough to matter (the epsi is like 1.5 seconds max anyway which i imagine is well within the timeframe needed for cabs)

18. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

Yeah, I used the GSP in the IIR loop for the IR's and FX.
    The Epsi sounded great with the 11R alone.
    The 11R with GSP in it's loop using the GSP's internal user IR's sounded just as good (and gave you some added FX)
    The GSP by itself using it's own internal user IR's sounded better than using the Epsi in the GSP's loop.
    I don't know why but that's how it shook out for me. People complain about the truncated IR's in the GSP but from personal experience, it makes no difference.
    Tone wise, I liked the 11R/Epsi combo the best but it lacked the FX I needed and was a bit harder to tweak for the tones I want.
    The GSP was so close tonewise that the added FX and not having to use an outboard IR setup made it the winner for me.
    Right now I just use the GSP effects in 4CM with a Blackstar amp but my backup plan is to the GSP amp models with an Ownhammer IR and run it direct.