simple looper/switcher for live use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smitty.west, May 30, 2015.

1. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

in about a months time i'll be starting to play live after a very long hiatus. i'm the singer and rhythm player. i'm looking for a looper/switcher that'll make my life easier in a live context. i want something that, at the stomp of a switch, can access multiple pedals of mine in order to get the specific sound for each part of the song. to expand on that, i want something that on the first stomp will give me- for example- comp, reverb, chorus, second stomp, distortion, delay, reverb, third stomp vibrato, overdrive, etc.
    i'd ideally also like the looper to have a "free" mode where i can just have all the effects at my disposal for general messing around. would i keep my volume pedal and tuner out of the loops, before the controller?
    ideally looking for something in a smaller package- nothing as grand as the g2 if possible.

2. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

Dpc 5 is great.

3. yawiney

yawiney Member

http://www.americanloopers.com/coll...with-order-swamp-switchable-buffer-vol-insert
    This is what i'm getting. Does everything you need and more. There's a cheaper non-midi verison, and mine also has many custom options. You can have your vol pedal in between which ever loops you want. You can have some effects in front and some in the loop too and switch the order of pedals with a switch. The demo vids show how easy it is to program, switch fro preset mode back to live mode and switch pre-sets.

4. smitty.west

I was always under the impression that the DPC-8EZ was the only one in the Disaster lineup to do what I'm looking for, but after reading about 5 (after your post), it seems it does, too. They actually have a page dedicated to comparing the two. Why did you recommend the 5 over the 8? 5 loops would be pretty limiting so I'm aiming more at the 8 at the moment. It's my understanding the 8 can control one midi pedal while the 5 can do all midi pedals; how would I scroll banks/access presets with the 8? All the buttons seem to be dedicated to the individual loops. There is one extra button though, but I doubt that's for that purpose. I'm a total noob when it comes to switchers and midi so any help would be appreciated.

5. djk61387

djk61387 Member

The DPC 5 is better for midi control. I just purchased a DPC 8ez and A DMC 8d. The DMC 8d can control all of the midi plus the DPC 8ez. Plus it has tap tempo and lets you bank up and down on your preset loops.

6. smitty.west

my bigsky is my only midi pedal and i'll only ever use three presets really so don't necessarily need bank scrolling ability. what midi-ability does the dmc8ez possess?
    i'm leaning to the 8ez because i'll need as many pedal combos/presets available as possible at the tap of a switch. really hate tap dancing live, especially while singing.

7. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Carl Martin Octa-switch can do this all without midi. Its a little big though, but I used one for a long time before I called down to 5 pedals.

8. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Decibel Eleven Switch Dr. Most reasonably-priced unit out there. It's 4 loops... AND does MIDI (Program, Controller, AND Note Changes), has TWO switches for anything you want (amp channel switching, reverb or trem on/off, etc.) an expression pedal input that will then control whatever MIDI parameter you set it to control, and has a decent buffer in it as well. I love the thing.

9. smitty.west

all great recommendations, but these units are far too large. as per my original post, i'm looking for something in a smaller package. the disaster area stuff fits that criteria, but i'm uncertain as to which one to go for. i think five loops would be tight; eight would be perfect, but i'm trying to understand what midi functionality the dmc8ez has- in their comparison of it and the dmc5 they mention it can work with one midi pedal, but on what level?

10. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

@smitty.west I recommended the dpc 5 because with pedals that are controllable via midi, they don't need to be in a loop. Also, the 8ez doesn't have midi mapping and you would have to use a slave device to control the looper and remotely access the preset banking and expression control on your big Sky from the loop switcher. If you go with the dpc 5, as I said, your bigsky doesn't need to be in a loop to be controlled via the switcher. Just hook it up via midi cable and you're good to go, that leaves you with 5 dedicated loops plus any always on pedals in the insert jack. You won't be sacrificing a loop.

11. yawiney

yawiney Member

If you want presets that are different combinations of 8 pedals rather than 5 the 8ez would be a better fit. I think you could still control your Big Sky w/out using a loop, it would just change with each preset so if you wanted it off for a preset that midi number would have to have the mix on the pedal set to zero.

12. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I use the DPC 8EZ. It's ability to control MIDI devices is not that great. It just basically sends out a Program Change command on a MIDI channel equivalent to the preset number in the DPC 8EZ itself. If just controlling a single MIDI pedal, it is workable.

If you need to be more flexible, what you might want to consider is flipping the DPC 8EZ MIDI the other way around. What I mean is, the DPC 8EZ is extremely controllable via MIDI, so think about adding a MIDI controller to your pedal board and use that as the central unit you use to control your pedals and looper. The trick here is finding the MIDI controller you really like. You might even be able to get both the DPC-5 and DPC-8EZ and use the 5 your overall MIDI controller while expanding your system to 13 loops. Personally, I like the 8EZ combined with the PEAK FCB4N2 or FCB4NX as a somewhat compact, but extremely system.

13. smitty.west

geeze, you guys are making it incredibly tough to decide...
    i really need to figure out how many sounds i'll actually need live. five seems a bit tight, but i'm sure i could make it work. eight seems more realistic/comfortable.
    so what i've gathered from the above is that if i'm using just *one* midi pedal-- in my case, a bigsky-- i would be just as well off with the 8ez as the 5, right?
    how would i scroll presets/banks with the 8ez?

14. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

You wouldn't. It's just not that kind of MIDI control. What you would likely do is make presets in the 8ez. Each preset will send a program change value to the BigSky (the value of which I believe is based on the value of the preset stored ... so preset '1' in 8ez will send value '1' for the program change to the BigSky. It is a 1-to-1 relationship. Read the docs to confirm, but that is what I remember). So then, you can store the sounds on the BigSky at the locations that you need them. This usually now means redundant patches on the BigSky .. if you have a "most used" patch and you want to use it for preset 1,3,5,6,10, etc, you may have to copy and store that patch in the BigSky at those locations. It'll work and get you by, but it is by no means an efficient use of MIDI and sooner or later it will drive you nuts OR you will add a second pedal and then using that same logic the second pedal will have to have its presets copied and stored to various locations and that will definitely drive you nuts quickly.

You might just want to start there, but sooner or later you'll want to change it up. Really, just getting the 8EZ was an easy choice for me because of it's ability to respond to MIDI. It will fit into any future rig as a MIDI device (but not so much as a controller). I'd say the 5 is less certain because as a controller it isn't full-featured like other controllers and you can find yourself outgrowing it, and then if you stop using it as a controller you can use it as MIDI device like the 8EZ, but now with just 5 loops. Understand though that I have a rig that is massively dependent on MIDI, so my perspective is somewhat different .. however, I started quite modest in MIDI back in the day and never thought I'd use it like I do now.

smitty.west likes this.
  15. smitty.west

thanks for that explanation, much appreciated.

my concern is this: i need to be able to access the same pedal(s) for different sounds. i understand i can put multiple pedals in each loop, but then i can't use them with the other sounds/presets.

for example, i'd need this:

sound 1- comp, reverb
    sound 2- comp, reverb, vibrato
    sound 3- comp, overdrive, delay
    sound 4- overdrive, boost, reverb
    sound 5- fuzz, vibrato, delay

etc.

is it possible to have one pedal in each loop and then somehow assign which pedals create which sound/preset?
    i hope i'm making sense- i'm confusing myself a bit.

16. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

That is exactly what you can do with the 5 or 8EZ. There are two things going on here. The looper pedal itself, without MIDI, is capable of storing presets. It's one of the modes .. you can have manual control over the loops or you can make presets to recall with the footswitches. Due to the limited amount of switches on the pedal, you can only store so many loop presets that way. If you have the looper responding to MIDI, you can actually have more presets.

The other thing is MIDI control of the BigSky. That's where you will command the BigSky to switch to one of its presets (or even turn the BigSky on or off). The 8EZ is not very well suited to this task, but can get you by for a while. The 5 is more suited, but still limited in certain ways compared to more advanced MIDI controllers (I don't remember how, I read the docs a while back and don't own that unit). For my dollar, I'd go 8EZ, use it to it's max capability for now, and then in the future you might find yourself considering a more fully-featured MIDI controller. At that point, the 8EZ becomes your 8 loop bypass that responds to MIDI.

The point I was making before is if you get the 5, and later decide it's MIDI features are not enough, now you have a pedal that is half MIDI controller and half looper and you are only using the looper half. The 8EZ is less wasteful and more useful AT THAT STAGE.

smitty.west likes this.
  17. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

[​IMG]

Mk 3 is a lot smaller, a little over 1 ft wide.

I might actually get one, seems the spacing on the loops is wide enough to allow pancake jacks.