Simple mixer question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RumpelPickups, Oct 18, 2008.

1. RumpelPickups

RumpelPickups Member

Ok - so Im still trying to get my recordings to sound good -

Got the new audiophile 192 -

sm57 mic into a behringer ub502 cheapie.

Heres the thing, when I listen to the headphone out of the mixer, the sound is way better than what actually gets recorded.

I record in 44.1hz or whatever, and I use xlr into the mixer. For the out, I go main out Left channel only to the sound card in 1/4" cable.

I noticed though that even though the mic is mono, the out signal comes out from L and R both, just duplicated or whatever. So is it possible that even though its mono, I need to go out from both L and R to the L and R ins to get the full thing? Or is one enough usually?

It just seems odd how good it sounds through the headphones of the mixer, but when I listen back to the recording is not as good... HMMMMM

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The signal might be slightly less hot going into the sound card due to panning. What happens when you record both left and right channels, or pan the mixer channel to the side your recording to?

3. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

You need to pan the channel left on your mixer. Then the signal just goes out the left on the mixer. You do not need to record both left and right. You only have one signal from the mic. Recording left and right is just recording the same thing twice.

BTW, you can record guitar on one channel and pan it left. At the same time record your voice on another channel and pan it right. Then the stereo output from your mixer (left, right) has two separate signals that you can record simultaneously into your interface. If you don't pan, both signals get mixed together in the mixer and you can't work with them separately in the computer.

4. RumpelPickups

RumpelPickups Member

Ahhh very interesting. Thanks folks.

Still struggling to get anything good from the DRRI - through the headphone monitor on the mixer is sounds great - I closed my door and played outside with just the phones on and it was awesome. All the thwack, thump, pop and airyness was there. Hit record and its gone.

Is there anything Im not doing right or is the mixer sucking it all away? It doesnt quite make sense that it does because the headphones sound good on it -

Recording in 96000 hz is good sounding but doesnt make all the difference...

what hz do most ppl record at 44100?

I have to admit though, I put the mic in between my two 2" speakers on my 9v marshall amp and got a wicked tone from it...

5. RumpelPickups

RumpelPickups Member