Simple overlooked mistakes which cost you in the studio

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by slayerbear17, Mar 31, 2020.

1. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

Today I had a limited window but decided to try and do a quick shoot out of some preamps.

I was using two clone 58's which had the on/off switch. For the life of me I missed one of the switches, the mic was turned where I didnt see if one of the mics was on.

I must've spent 20-30 mins trying to solve the problem when I saw the switch was off on one of the mics... D'OH!!!!

Never got around to doing a full recording where I was happy with the results because of time restraints.

I was debating to glue the switches permanently or just putting painters tape over the switch in its on position so I don't get burnt again.

Anyone else make simple but time costly mistakes in the studio?

Vcaster, Crowder and Tone_Terrific like this.
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Or on a stage setup...oh yeah.
    If something seems weird go step by step and assume nothing.
    This is very hard to do if distracted and under time constraints.

If you do not find the problem quickly have somebody else (with some tech skill) look at at it without you trying to help..which is almost irresistible..but leave him alone.
    Everything can be diagnosed if the rules are followed.

Vcaster likes this.
  3. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Just a couple days ago. Didn't check the one-knob-compressor settings on my mixer for a new setup. Recorded vocals and printed the compression onto them...not normally a terrible thing IF you've calculated for it. Well, I didn't, and it clamped down way too hard. Went and did 5 songs like that.

art_z likes this.
  4. tribedescribe

tribedescribe Member

My wife and I do a lot of vocal tracking where I set up her mic and leave her to record for few hours running the session. One time I put the mic up backwards :facepalm and of course she had some amazing takes. She claimed she could not reproduce it so I tried for a day to "fix" the take. Just an fyi there is no fixing a mistake like this. We ended up just rerecording it and honestly it came out even better in the long run.

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Nailing a guitar solo on take 26 and realizing you should have stopped every few takes to tune the thing.

6. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I'm using a UA interface into Logic. So many time I've recorded and wonder why it doesn't sound the same only to realize I loaded a plugin chain on the logic console. Guitar amps don't sound good when played through a bass amp simulation...ha ha.

art_z and Crowder like this.
  7. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Ha. Good tales for me to remember as I delve deeper into home recording/live sound. Thanks, folks.

Regarding the clone 58’s with the on/off switches:
    Last year I was considering buying a Lewitt MTP-550 microphone. Initially, I was dead-set on getting the version with the on/off switch. Finally figured Murphy’s Law might come into play, so I ended up going with the standard version. Thanks for the validation here, @slayerbear17! :)

8. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I suspose the on/ off switches would have an advantage, in a studio setting regarding my work its just another hassle if you dont pick it up straight away. I love having a mixer again where I can mute un needed channels.

Vcaster and Captngeetch like this.
  9. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Supporting Member

Recording vocals, nailing it on the first take and forgetting to arm the track, then end up having to comp 30 takes together to get it to sound good...but not as good as that very first run. I don’t do “dry” runs anymore..I record EVERY THING, EVERY TIME. One of the first mixes I worked on, I spend hours on it only to find when I was happy and about to bounce down to a stereo track for mastering I noticed I had two tracks (1 of 3 backing vocal & guitar fills) muted. This was before I learned to use Group tracks in Pro Tools

art_z, Vcaster and eclecto-acoustic like this.
  10. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

This is just so true it hurts. With how cheap storage is these days, there really isn't much excuse for not recording every note, even (especially?) during practice time.

11. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Supporting Member

Yep. And I have over 4tb of space lol. And sometimes you come up with great stuff when you’re just noodling around. And NEVER remember it later

eclecto-acoustic likes this.
  12. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

"Always roll tape." - Skunk Baxter

As applicable now as it was in the seventies. And a lot cheaper today than it was then.

Ed DeGenaro likes this.
  13. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Label your damn patchbay...and keep it up to date. I’m dealing with this hell right now, so many random patches and 192 points...ugh. At least it’s giving me something to accomplish in my studio while keeping social distance.