Simple pleasures: '98 Fulldrive 2

e-flat

I had one of these FD2s back in '98-'99, but sold it to the guy who was playing guitar in our band. At the time, I didn't fully dig it because I was strictly playing amps with strong mids & British voiced Celestions or Webers. Midrange overload.

Recently I've been playing an old modded Bell Pacemaker 2x6V6 head through a WGS G12C/S and it has a really nice woody edge of breakup tone with a hollow slightly scooped midrange. I've been loving my homebrew TS808 with this amp, and got the urge to try one of these old FD2s again. I'm sure glad I did... this thing sounds incredibly good with this amp & a Tele.

It's kind of crazy how cheap you can get these things, too. Paired with the right amp, they're just a really creamy, slightly dark TS808 vibe (with flatter mids, of course) with the ability to bump up the saturation on the fly via the boost switch.

Any of you guys still running older FD2s? I may hunt around for a pre-FM version if I can find a deal on one.
83D3F568-F8A5-41C3-B1F8-0FEB1EA2CDF5_zpsvtfmwxbj.jpg

1E532D59-758A-4D32-BC4F-ED56ADCEB9B1_zpsp6kht0yn.jpg

C04F0213-CCF9-431E-B314-6FC44CF980FD_zpse34gtihv.jpg

JCM 800

That's my second favorite overdrive right after the original orange version. I have one that is always on my board. :) These two versions are the best of all the Fulldrives. The more changes and updates Mike made the worse they got. I think the newest versions are horrible sounding.

MoonshineMan

Mine is the mosfet, and honestly, when I'm not in CompCut mode, I prefer the mosfet. :)
But in standard vintage mode, it's really a fun pedal. I rarely used the boost, except for filthy slide tones. It's gets pretty fat with a pill bottle slide on a neck pickup.
I love the FD2. I find I like it more at band volume than in the living room. It seems like it needs to be loud. Many said it's too harsh, but once the drummer starts hitting brass, you'll be thankful for that "harshness". It cut cut cuts!

bigben55

I have that same one. Bought it in 1999. It has NEVER left my board, not once in 17 years.

Nothing sounds better thru a blackface Fender. Strat+old FD2+BF Super Reverb=my favorite tone ever.

e-flat

That's my second favorite overdrive right after the original orange version. I have one that is always on my board. :) These two versions are the best of all the Fulldrives. The more changes and updates Mike made the worse they got. I think the newest versions are horrible sounding.
Yeah, the orange box version is next in my hunt.... I'd love to compare them. The Orange ones seem to fetch more these days, though. They look cool too ;)

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the orange box version is next in my hunt.... I'd love to compare them. The Orange ones seem to fetch more these days, though. They look cool too ;)

i know most people (including michael fuller) would dispute this, but...i swear the grey box 3 and 4 knob versions sounded better than the orange one i had...ymmv, but the 4 knob hammond box goes for about the same $$$ as the orange.

mr zurkon

Still have my blue one from 2005. Probably my first or second "boutique" pedal purchase.

I don't currently use it, but I won't sell it. I was recently trying it again to compare to a string of single ODs I had accumulated to pick from, and the FD2 made me consider working it back into the rig. But it just takes up so much space that I don't have on a board right now.

JCM 800

i know most people (including michael fuller) would dispute this, but...i swear the grey box 3 and 4 knob versions sounded better than the orange one i had...ymmv, but the 4 knob hammond box goes for about the same $$$ as the orange.

I've never tried a plain Hammond case Fulldrive so I don't know if they are different but I can believe it's possible. They usually sell for significantly more money than an orange. That's why I haven't bought one. :)

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
Fulldrives and I have a looooooooong history. I started out with a Mosfet version almost 10 years ago (it was my first OD). Traded that one for a non-mosfet FM model with the switch, and then the hunt for the "best" was on. My favorite two were a cream FM model from '03 and a '97 orange one. Definitely still wish I wouldn't have sold the orange fella, it was without a doubt one of the best overdrives I've ever had, but alas the hunt continued (too much cash was spent buying and selling them). I finally found "my best" OD in a King of Tone and quit buying Fulldrives altogether. This kept me happy for about two years, but of course I wanted another Fulldrive which led me to a '01 FM model really similar to the the OP's. Though it's not getting used at the moment, I know I'll regret if I sell it so I've made a vow to hold onto it :D we'll see how long that lasts!

I've bought and sold many pedals many times, but never as many as I have the Fulldrive. It's such a stellar OD for a great price, and even better when played with a KOT (that's the perfect combo, but that's too much real-estate).

BluesDriver

Had a 1999 model and foolishly sold it because I wanted to downsize to a PT-JR from a PT-2 and ended up with one of the first black FD-3's. The FD-2 isn't that much bigger and probably would have fit. I'm hoping he'll release a FD-4 with the size and separate modes of the FD-3 but the exact tone of the original FD-2. But like others have said, the series seems to get better with features but the overdrive tone seems to get worse.

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
I had one of these FD2s back in '98-'99, but sold it to the guy who was playing guitar in our band. At the time, I didn't fully dig it because I was strictly playing amps with strong mids & British voiced Celestions or Webers. Midrange overload.

Recently I've been playing an old modded Bell Pacemaker 2x6V6 head through a WGS G12C/S and it has a really nice woody edge of breakup tone with a hollow slightly scooped midrange. I've been loving my homebrew TS808 with this amp, and got the urge to try one of these old FD2s again. I'm sure glad I did... this thing sounds incredibly good with this amp & a Tele.

It's kind of crazy how cheap you can get these things, too. Paired with the right amp, they're just a really creamy, slightly dark TS808 vibe (with flatter mids, of course) with the ability to bump up the saturation on the fly via the boost switch.

Any of you guys still running older FD2s? I may hunt around for a pre-FM version if I can find a deal on one.
83D3F568-F8A5-41C3-B1F8-0FEB1EA2CDF5_zpsvtfmwxbj.jpg

1E532D59-758A-4D32-BC4F-ED56ADCEB9B1_zpsp6kht0yn.jpg

C04F0213-CCF9-431E-B314-6FC44CF980FD_zpse34gtihv.jpg

I have a few 97 & 98's that i really like. You're right, with the right amp these are amazing!

bigben55

Had a 1999 model and foolishly sold it because I wanted to downsize to a PT-JR from a PT-2 and ended up with one of the first black FD-3's. The FD-2 isn't that much bigger and probably would have fit. I'm hoping he'll release a FD-4 with the size and separate modes of the FD-3 but the exact tone of the original FD-2. But like others have said, the series seems to get better with features but the overdrive tone seems to get worse.

How does the new FD3 compare to that blue 1999 FD2 you had? How different do they sound? I've been wanting one as a stand alone "don't put it on the board" OD since it has the good clean boost capabilities. For times I don't wanna take the board, just take that and a wah.

BluesDriver

How does the new FD3 compare to that blue 1999 FD2 you had? How different do they sound? I've been wanting one as a stand alone "don't put it on the board" OD since it has the good clean boost capabilities. For times I don't wanna take the board, just take that and a wah.

It's good, just not as good as the FD2. Get the newer buffered version if you want to try one. The early ones were so dark it was stupid. The newer ones are still dark but not as. The other major drawback is that the tone knob only sounds good fully cranked. I got around that by having a GE-7 next to add some more flavor to it. The boost side however is fantastic and it's no wonder he sells it as a separate pedal. I'm about to start a 3rd PT-jr size board and I'm debating if I want another go with one myself. The clean boost on it makes up for all the OD sides shortcomings.

bigben55

I rarely use the boost on my old FD2. I never thought it added much except some more compression and a lot of noise. I usually keep my tone knob fairly high, @4 oclock. Vol at noon, OD at 11. In lieu of using the boost, I stack a Fat Boost 3 going into the FD2. Sounds way better, and is useful on its own. Having both those in 1 stomp has me wanting one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom