Simple question?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by silencer eleven, Oct 22, 2008.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

if there is a question in how much a guitar will breathe with certain paints and finishes why don't we all just play unfinished guitars? personally if it sounded like a million bucks and looked like five bucks i wouldn't be disappointed...

i feel that really thin nitro sounds and feels the best but would the guitar sound better and breathe more if there was no finish at all?

what do you think?

Jordan

2. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

You need some sort of finish to protect the wood...

Jamie

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Throw a piece of Home Depot softwood on the ground here in my Gulf Coast area home, and it is unusable within a matter of a week, some would say within days. As has been posted, most wood must be finished to prevent rapid decay and loss of integrity. Some semi-tropical and tropical woods have enough residual oils and biocides in them to stave off quick decomposition, but only a few.

It is a difficult decision: When does a young adult learn the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy is a construct or fiction intended to delight or console small children?

I can't decide if I should tell you, and maybe if you're not ready you'll just disregard my words, but:

Guitar wood is dead. It does not breathe.

4. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

but would it sound better w/o it? what if i take care of the guitar, keep it cased, regulated climate, etc...

Jordan

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i beg to differ, by breathe i mean resonate so maybe it was my choice of words. i have a 79 strat finished like a coffee table and the guitar is dead, doesn't feel alive, i have a danocaster shot with very thin nitro and the guitar vibrates like nothing i have felt before. it even sounds more alive through an amp.

Jordan

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. m@2

m@2 Member

in my experience, having owned way too many guitars, i can attest that the thin coat nitros, definitely resonated more than thick poly coted ones. to what extent that impacted tone, sustain etc, i can not say... I did tend to enjoy playing the resonating ones more.. if nothing else it seemed to help me, find the notes, and stay in tune more, having the connection i could feel while singing.

best example is my esquire.. very thin finish, and it resonates a LOT. great for playing unplugged to

7. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

completely agree that is exactly how my tele is, it is even louder unplugged than any of my other non nitro guitars, i love how i can feel the whole guitar vibrating.

Jordan